EFFECTS LOOP, WILL IT EFFECT THE AMP TONES

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW

Reaction score
JUST BOUGHT A LONESTAR, THIS AMP IS SO BAD YOU DONT REALLY NEED TO ADD ANY EFFECTS, HOWEVER SOMTIMES IT'S NECCESARY.
MY QUESTION IS , IS IT A BAD IDEA TO RUN AN O/D PEDAL THROUGH THE EFFECTS LOOP, AND CAN IT DAMAGE THE AMP IT'S SELF.
PROBABLY A DUMB QUESTION, BUT A WISE MAN ONCE TOLD ME , YOU WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS YOU ASK SOMEONE WHO DOES (LOL). THIS IS A GREAT SITE BY THE WAY , I JUST JOINED! :)

welcome
you won't damage anything by running your OD or any other pedal through the loop.
most consider it better to run an OD ahead of the amp though, that is what they are designed for. If you run it in the loop you will miss the preamp complletely and just hit the power amp with it...if you run it ahead of the amp in your signal chain you will hit the preamp.

OYSTER,
THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY, I WILL RUN THE O/D DIRECTLY THROUGH THE INPUT JACK WITH THE GUITAR. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE TIP.

The effects loop on the Lone Star is not completely transparent (beacause of the extra circuitry involved), so it does effect the tone a little bit, but it really doesn't sound bad at all. I notice a little bit of the punch and chime is lost on the clean channel when I have the effects loop engaged. Even though there is a little tone loss, I still use the effects loop on my LSC because delay's sound much better in the loop.

As oyster said, the OD will probably sound much better in front of the amp.

CodeTitan said:
The effects loop on the Lone Star is not completely transparent (beacause of the extra circuitry involved), so it does effect the tone a little bit, but it really doesn't sound bad at all. I notice a little bit of the punch and chime is lost on the clean channel when I have the effects loop engaged. Even though there is a little tone loss, I still use the effects loop on my LSC because delay's sound much better in the loop.

As oyster said, the OD will probably sound much better in front of the amp.

A lot of guys prefer to keep the loop in because it adds another stage of gain. This amp is great for tweaking, just keep at it.

REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFO GUYS, THIS IS A GREAT SITE, I EVEN ENJOYED THE CAPS LOCK JAB, (HEY' WHEN SOMTHINGS FUNNY IT'S FUNNY EVEN WHEN DIRECTED AT MYSELF) :?
ONE LAST QUESTION FELLAS AND I'LL LEAVE YOU ALONE,
When I bought the amp(lonestar). There is a switch on the back to switch the tube types 6v6 to 3l34s, the amp has the 6's and the switch was on the 34's, whats your thoughts, I have know idea if this will cause any long term damage,or how long it was in that position, i purchased it from the Guitar Center so i should of checked before I left the store with it, my mistake. the amp seems to work perfectly though, no strange hums or squeels.
I ALSO TYPED CORRECTLY JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW I CAN, BUT TYPING CLASS IN HIGH SCHOOL WORE ME OUT.
AND SHES CAPS LOCK ON FOR ME INDEFINATELY. :wink:

Back