Effects Loop and Order... Help needed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiev

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

This is my first post here at the forums. I just got my first Mesa Amp yesterday, The F-30 Head. I was wondering if anyone can help me with setting up my pedals with the use of the fxloop on the amp and in front of the amp. I basically am planning to use the amps distortion, the fxloop and some other pedals too. I'm really confused on how to set them up in a proper way. I';ve been doing research on the internet and have found results that are a bit confusing and I was wondering if anyone can help me and explain it the simplest way possible so that other readers could also relate.

So here's the gist... I'm planning to use the distortion on the amp, and also another distortion from a pedal, and I also want to use the fxloop on the amp to run some pedals like delay etc.. So how do I go about this?

here's my equipment.

AMP: Mesa F-30

Effects:

Boss NS2(Noise Supressor)
Boss CS3(Compressor)
Boss GE7(Equalizer)
Boss AC3(Acoustic Simulator)
Boss DD3(Digital Delay)
Ibanez TS9DX(Turbo Tube Screamer) This one is for my lead boost
Danelectro Chorus
MXR Phase 90(Phaser)
Dean Markley PT-13 (Pedal Tuner)
Dunlop WAH

So How do I set this up? Which goes in the amps effects loop and which doesnt? And how do I put them in order so that I would get the best signals possible?

I would appreciate any help from you guys. Thank You and Have a nice day

-Louie

Boss NS2(Noise Supressor)
Boss CS3(Compressor)
Boss GE7(Equalizer)
Boss AC3(Acoustic Simulator)
Boss DD3(Digital Delay)
Ibanez TS9DX(Turbo Tube Screamer) This one is for my lead boost
Danelectro Chorus
MXR Phase 90(Phaser)
Dean Markley PT-13 (Pedal Tuner)
Dunlop WAH

Generally, go guitar>Tuner> Comp>wah> OD/Fuzz/Distortion>EQ> noise gate into the amp, and the time based FX like chorus, delay, phase etc are in the loop.
BUT...ya gotta experiment with things. Ever use a delay into the lead channel, as opposed to having it in the loop?try it...
changing the order of FX , and whether you put them in the loop or not will change their sound and your tone.

I would start with GTR>TUNER>WAH>AMP, with the delay in the loop. concentrate on your TONES...add an effect one by one. There are some you'll find you don't need or want.
Add the TS9 after the wah, and after you set your amp's OD level. At this point, think of the TS9 as a little dirt on the clean channel, a little boost on the lead channel. If you have the drive set to high it will be noisy and lacking tone. Again,you may find the amp's OD sounds fine, and you'll put the TS9 on eBay.

Patrick

I'm also struggling with my F-30 head and effects.

I would basically like to try separate OD pedal and use the head's channel switcher, then take everything else (Chorus, flanger etc.) from multipedal (Boss GT-3).
I've tried like putting them all to front (gtr -> od -> GT3 -> Amp) -> Something weird happens to OD. The sound goes very "treble".
Then I tried to put the GT-3 to head's FX loop but when browsing through different soundbanks, the amp started to have loud humming, even with low level of master volume.

Don't know what I'm messing with here, since I have really never used fx loops nor multipedals. Only have had individual effects in front of amp.
Just would like to test this out, since it would recude the amount of cables. :)

Am I doing wrong with the cabeling?
From head I went like "Amp send" -> "Gt-3 input" -> "Gt-3 out" -> "Amp return"

I also noticed, that there is also a loop, in the GT-3 itself, so I tried to put the OD pedal to that loop, but then I got no sound at all from OD (GT-3 was working just fine).

I'd appreciate, if someone could give some hand on this.

NJVenom said:
Generally, go guitar>Tuner> Comp>wah> OD/Fuzz/Distortion>EQ> noise gate into the amp, and the time based FX like chorus, delay, phase etc are in the loop.

I agree with that for the most part except I recently tried swapping my Comp. / Wah (so the Wah now comes BEFORE the Comp.) and it sounds MUCH more natural. I took the rest of my effects off completely while I was A/B'ing, then A/B'd again With all my effects. Sounds better in both cases with the Wah first. (For both clean And distortion)

Think of it this way: (with the Comp. 1st) the Comp. will basically flatten out your signal, then the Wah is trying to boost One frequency from that flat signal. OR (with the Wah 1st) the Wah is boosting the Full signal for that frequency, then the Comp. is smoothing it out.

My terminology / reasoning could be a bit off (I'm still new to pedals... was always stuck with multi-effects before), but what I Do know is that (to me) it sounds Much fuller & more natural with the Wah before the Comp.

Latest posts

Back