Effects in the FX Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4406cuda said:
rispsira said:
4406cuda said:
I got some air time with the Mark V head and my two new pedals earlier. I am more than satisfied.

I plugged the TC Nova Delay in the loop and ran the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in to the front of the amp. It sounds amazing!!

I am using the Fat Clean, Mark I, and the IIC+ switches.

Man i keep hearing great things about that chorus pedal!! how would it compare to a boss CE2 which everybody considers as a classic? (ihavent tried it)

Im considering one! Chorus as i was saaying above is perhaps the only modulation effect that works well in the loop as well as in front of the amp depending on taste.

In the loop though you can use a stereo chorus if you have a stereo setup like two heads or a stereo poweramp (or head!)
So do you think its fine to loose the stereo feature in favor of placing it in front of the amp?

I have just switched over to a mono set up from a stereo rig that contained a triaxis, 2:90, and G Force. I prefer the Mark V mono rig. It may not be as versatile as the triaxis, but it is perfect for my needs.

The Liquid Chorus from Visual Sound is the best Chorus Pedal I have ever played. I have been using chorus pedals since 1981 and have owned early boss pedals, tc electronics, mxr, voodoo lab, etc. The liquid chorus sounds thick and lush. It sounds great on clean as well as distorted sounds.

Cool! so guess you tried the MXR M 134 chorus? i have been torn between the two cannot try either because my local dealers dont have any i will oerder from abroad.

Thanks!

Uncle Muscles said:
I'm looking at the Nova system. Thanks!

I have the Nova System and I love it. I run mine through the front of the amp though. When you use the FX loop it disables the analog drive circuit on the Nova System. I don't use the distortion from the Nova, but the Overdrive is surprisingly good. I use it for a little crunch on cleans and also as a lead boost in front of the dirty channels. It's not very noisy at all, I was quite surprised and thrilled all at once. It's a great unit once you get the levels set and tweak it. Delays are excellent, but you would expect that from the TC units.

DaveDaveDave said:
Uncle Muscles said:
I'm looking at the Nova system. Thanks!

It's a great little box - I've had it for about a year now - here's a couple of considerations to save you a little time - gripes, fixes and even praise...

* the initial complaints about the strange way the tap-tempo worked have been fixed in firmware 1.13 (pickup up when the tempo button was released, not when it was tapped. )

* the expression pedal input - you can't use a g-switch and the expression pedal at the same time. I ordered a scratch and dent G-Switch Musicians Friend, and plan on using an EB VpJr after the Nova, like I always have...

* The drive effects are actually ok - actually, really pretty good, HOWEVER - I've NEVER been able to have them sound nice with another drive in front of it, including the Mark V's preamps. Still, if you needed a grab and go pedal with a drive on it to front a clean amp (backline, practice, etc), this 'd work pretty good - so while I generally don't use the drive modules, I consider it a nice option to have, and one that works well in the right situation.

* The compressor is AWESOME. The best compressor I've ever used with a guitar.

* One overlooked effect that is also incredible - use the pitch shifter with a 3 to 12 cent shift and it's a lot like a chorus... use this together with a tremolo and you've got a really cool rotary or ultra lush chorus sound. It rocks.

* There's no Wah, anywhere to be found on it. Other features that users generally ***** about on the boards is that there's no preamp-insert like the G-System has, for the ol' e4 cable method...

Hope this helps.

Dave

Spot on Dave!!

Uncle Muscles said:
DaveDaveDave said:
* The compressor is AWESOME. The best compressor I've ever used with a guitar.

Dave

how does the compressor work in the loop? i always thought compression comes first on geetar or else it loses the attack and pumps.

Depends on what you're doing really - and generally I haven't been using the compressor in the loop except for some clean volume swell stuff I think. Pumping isn't always a bad thing either i.e., with a really short attack time - you can create and accentuate punch. Or for long sustain (also in the loop) - just set the attack time really high but with a low ratio - mind you, always keeping in unity unless you're driving the power section of the amp hard enough. A good high quality compressor is really the most versatile tool - and I ain't talking dyna-comps.
But that's one thing I like about this Nova System box - it's now become the hub of my "go-to" board. Sometimes it's in the loop, other times I've got it in front of other amps...

But GREAT - now you guys have got me thinking about a compressor in front of the Mark V... THANKs guys, THANKS ;)

I just picked up a new nova on flea-bay. Played with it a bit in the store and it seems pretty cool but they wanted way too much for it. I'm sure it will rock with the M5.

I've been using the AxeFx Ultra for the past 2 years and just got the M5 this week. I'll use the Ultra with the M5. I've bypassed the amps and cabs and will use the effects only. The AFX has the capability to route comp, drives etc to the Input of the M5 and time based FX's to the M5 Effects Loop. When RJM's cable for the M5/ Mini Amp Gizmo is available, I'll be able to control the M5 and the AFX with 1 midi controller.

Hitting any of the 3 channels with a comp or a drive adds a whole new dimension to the M5 :D

I need more than 1 effect so if I didn't already have the AFX I'd look at the G System or the Nova I think. Both are great sounding units!

4406cuda said:
rispsira said:
4406cuda said:
I got some air time with the Mark V head and my two new pedals earlier. I am more than satisfied.

I plugged the TC Nova Delay in the loop and ran the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in to the front of the amp. It sounds amazing!!

I am using the Fat Clean, Mark I, and the IIC+ switches.

Man i keep hearing great things about that chorus pedal!! how would it compare to a boss CE2 which everybody considers as a classic? (ihavent tried it)

Im considering one! Chorus as i was saaying above is perhaps the only modulation effect that works well in the loop as well as in front of the amp depending on taste.

In the loop though you can use a stereo chorus if you have a stereo setup like two heads or a stereo poweramp (or head!)
So do you think its fine to loose the stereo feature in favor of placing it in front of the amp?

I have just switched over to a mono set up from a stereo rig that contained a triaxis, 2:90, and G Force. I prefer the Mark V mono rig. It may not be as versatile as the triaxis, but it is perfect for my needs.

The Liquid Chorus from Visual Sound is the best Chorus Pedal I have ever played. I have been using chorus pedals since 1981 and have owned early boss pedals, tc electronics, mxr, voodoo lab, etc. The liquid chorus sounds thick and lush. It sounds great on clean as well as distorted sounds.

Are you Tom from the Triaxis yahoo groups? Great to hear that you're loving your chorus and delay pedal! I will be picking up my Mark V today and cannot wait to try it out with the Liquid Chorus pedal + Echo pedal (H2O) I bought last week :)

Yes, I am Tom from the Triaxis board. :D

Congrats on the Mark V, I am sure you will love it!

I played mine till about ten last night, I am more impressed every time I play it.

I can't wait to play it at my bands next gig, July 25th. We are playing a Wine festival in Malibu.

That's awesome man. Great to hear that your're loving the Mark V!! I'm forcing myself to be at work for the next couple of hours before I go pick it up from GC. I wish we were on EST so it would be 5 pm already :lol:

Back