Effects chain advise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kflow

Reaction score
Ok guys yet another effects chain question. I am running a Roadking combo. I have a question about a Boss NS-2 I just got. Here is how I am running my setup.

Guitar-> Boss tuner-> Boss noise sup-> Maxon OD-> Roadking input

Serial loop-> Dunlop EQ

Parallel loop-> Boss chorus-> Boss delay

I am wondering if it will sound better to move the NS-2 after the Maxon OD or to put it after the EQ in the serial loop.

All comments welcome.

I would highly recommend not putting the NS-2 into any loops in the amplifier. If you're amplifier is what your trying to quiet, you have bigger problems than the addition of an NS-2 will solve.

I'd put it right before the amp input.

aberrant said:
I would highly recommend not putting the NS-2 into any loops in the amplifier. If you're amplifier is what your trying to quiet, you have bigger problems than the addition of an NS-2 will solve.

I'd put it right before the amp input.

If I put it at the end of the serial loop wouldn't that suppress everything right before it goes into the power amp section? Effectively silencing the amp until I unleash the killer Mesa tone.

You'd think it would work that way, but putting a noise suppressor after the pre-amp section of the amplifier sucks the crap out of your tone. The noise you're trying to suppress should be coming from your pedals and the length/quality of your cables. If the problems your having is in the preamp section of the amplifier, you need to have your amp serviced.

aberrant said:
You'd think it would work that way, but putting a noise suppressor after the pre-amp section of the amplifier sucks the crap out of your tone. The noise you're trying to suppress should be coming from your pedals and the length/quality of your cables. If the problems your having is in the preamp section of the amplifier, you need to have your amp serviced.

I agree, your noise issues will prob be elsewhere. I would also drop the tuner from the signal path, they are not true bypass and must suck tone away from your guitar, even if it dosent add noise.
Your guitars are humbucking, so thats not it, even at high gain noise should be manageable... :?
My GT8 is in the loop of my Ace, and I shut down the N/S as it was reducing the sustain far too much.

So you guys are right. I have decided on a signal chain I like.

Guitar-> Boss Tuner-> Maxon OD-> Boss NS-> AMP

Loops are the same.

Thanks for the advise.

Kris

kflow, how do you like that DD-20? I have a DD-6 and I was just wondering if the capabilities of the 20 are worth the extra scratch? Do you have any experience with the dd-6 to compare it to the dd-20?

aberrant said:
Aren't you interested in the new DD-7?

Not at all. The dd-6 is fine. The dd-7 doesn't really interest me. If I was going to upgrade...it wouldn't be just that little bit...it'd be the dd-20 (possibly).

I really don't have any experience with anything other than the DD-20. I think I bought too much pedal for what I need, but the sound on sound feature is cool. All of the options make it neat too.

If I'm gonna run my effects through the front of the amp should I put the NS-2 last?

And does it go Whammy/wah first or Tuner first?

Place the tuner before the wah because, unless the wah is true bypass, it will pass artifacts through the circuit that will affect what the tuner's circuitry "sees". This can affect how accurately the tuner operates. It's also why you wouldn't put a harmonizer or chorus in front of a tuner. You want as much of the pure, unaffected tone of the guitar hitting the tuner as possible.

Chris McKinley said:
Place the tuner before the wah because, unless the wah is true bypass, it will pass artifacts through the circuit that will affect what the tuner's circuitry "sees". This can affect how accurately the tuner operates. It's also why you wouldn't put a harmonizer or chorus in front of a tuner. You want as much of the pure, unaffected tone of the guitar hitting the tuner as possible.

Aww I played a show with the whammy for the first time and had it first. And when I went to tune my guitar it was all fucked up so i tuned it to what would be correct on the tuner and it was way off. Ha wish I knew this earlier.

Back