ED in the Mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
I dont think that a studio is the best place for an ED- there are plenty of other tools for that. But when playing live, at reasonable stage volumes, ED crushes any other amp I have owned.
I dialed up something new to try to reign in the treble that has been getting under my skin, and "looking" at the amp EQ- it looks like it would sound not very good. Good thing you dont "hear" with your eyes-
Volume- 2:30 oclock
treble- 11 oclock
mid- 10 oclock
bass- 9 oclock
presence- 9:30 oclock
master- 7:30 oclock (not too loud)

Trim to clean, levels matched across all modes.
Reverb bypassed.

Sounds ridiculously good.

Still loving me some ED.

Mine is set up pretty close to yours. Main difference is my treble is at 10 oclock and my presence is at 1 oclock. boosting the presence and lowering the treble more seems to give me more sparkle.

Assumer said:
Mine is set up pretty close to yours. Main difference is my treble is at 10 oclock and my presence is at 1 oclock. boosting the presence and lowering the treble more seems to give me more sparkle.

I like to keep my presence up too and lower the treble. The presence only seems to get offensive when the treble is up.

The other way to control the treble is to reduce the volume/gain. The vintage modes get brighter when the gain is raised. That would seem a little counter intuative especialy when compared to some other Mesa amps, but tone stack is placed diferently in the ED circuit. Just changing from 2:30 back to 2:00 can really take the edge off.

I have recently acquired a 1x12 ED, and i am loving the way the tone circuit interacts with the amp.
Everything in the amp is super usable. I read people saying the amp is really harsh when cranked, but i think its better cranked up. One thing i have seen with mesa is that at really low volumes, there is almost a fuzz sound when on high gain settings.
This is however, no problem at all considering nothing sounds better than a cranked up Mesa tube amp.

Very proud to own my ED.

Mesa ED 1x12
Fender highway 1 Tele
Fender Tele deluxe
HBE pedals

Latest posts

Back