EB John Petrucci into a Mark IV question/dilemma

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
I bought a EB JP model about a year ago and used it at one gig. The guitar was wickedly thin through my DR and no matter what I tried I just did not like it. I am now contemplating flipping the guitar.

My issue is that the next purchase I make will be either a Mark IV or a Stilleto Deuce stage II. Obviously JP uses his guitar through the Mark series with unbelievable success. I am not sure why the guitar sounds so "thin" to me in my DR but if it sounds better into a Mark series I may opt to keep the EB and fund the purchase another way.

Does anyone have any thought/feelings about the JP through a Mark series amp or a DR ?

I use my EBMMJP6 through my Mark IIC+, IV and Stiletto, I would never describe the sound as thin at all. It sounds great through all of those amps.

I never got the chance to play it through a recto but it sounds strange that it's thin, if anything it'd be more bassy based on how my other guitars sounded through my DR versus my Mark IV.. but like I said I never had first hand experience.

Stompbox, I play my EBMM JP through a Mark IV, and my tone is definitely not thin by any means. I have also played it through a 3 Channel Dual with a Maxon OD808 in front of the amp and it makes the tone a beast. Which model bridge pickup do you have in your JP, the Steve's Special or the D-Sonic?

Tubes can have a big effect on tone as well. As well as EQ. And pickups. I recomend trying out different combinations of preamp tubes. Also, ahve you retubed that amp recently? Thin tone can be a sign of worn out powertubes.

the jp with the ss was made when jp played with mainly with marks then he didnt like that sound when he got more into recs again so he used the dsonic. then he shifted back to marks and changed the woods on the bfr. at least im pretty sure. what i am sure about, however, is that my jp (dsonic) through my mkiv is not thin. i kinda felt that way for a little because my previous guitar was a huge piece of mahogany but the mkiv is all too tweakable plus you have the eq. if i had money id convince you to flip it, then id have another.

Platypus said:
I never got the chance to play it through a recto but it sounds strange that it's thin, if anything it'd be more bassy based on how my other guitars sounded through my DR versus my Mark IV.. but like I said I never had first hand experience.

I played my JP through my Roadster when I had it and it sounded great. Thin is not the word I would use for it at all. Sounds like your EQ needs some tweaking or you've got some tubes going south...

And like everyone else said, the JP sounds amazing through a Mark IV as well. It gave me this awesome chunk when I had my dual thiele setup with my Mark IV...

If anything, the Mark IV would be even more "thin". DR's are known for their huge wall of sound, definitely not thin. Sounds like it might be your cab or your settings.

I'm with everyone else here, though I'm new... I have a JP6 BFR (Bahama Blue Burst quilt) and it's absolutely awesome through EVERYTHING that I've played it through--currently a Mark IVa.

You can quickly tell what pickup configuration you have--the D-Sonic is in the bridge and has a bar on one coil instead of individual pole pieces. But, yeah... something is wrong in your amp settings, the amp itself or some piece of equipment on the periphery.

Scott

Latest posts

Back