Early Mk III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcp61

Reaction score
good day all,
I was directed here by someone telling me you guys might give me more info on my MK III
thru his info I find that it contains a Mk II trans and may contain more Mk II components
anyone here tell me what other useful info I might want to know about this vintage MK III
thanks

Well if it "does" have the same transformer as the Mark II then you have an early model of the 1st production of Mark III's which would be a Black stripe/dot. Or sometimes referred to as the no stripe. IIRC somewhere in the year '85. Congrats on that one! Supposedly you get alot of the mark II mojo because of the specific tranny. Very cool!

I'm sure alot of the boogie guru's here could tell you everything you would want to know if you can post a pic of the inside. This way we can see if there was any mods or anything else worth bringing to your attention. Welcome to the board mate!

HelpingFriendly said:
Well if it "does" have the same transformer as the Mark II then you have an early model of the 1st production of Mark III's which would be a Black stripe/dot. Or sometimes referred to as the no stripe. IIRC somewhere in the year '85. Congrats on that one! Supposedly you get alot of the mark II mojo because of the specific tranny. Very cool!

I'm sure alot of the boogie guru's here could tell you everything you would want to know if you can post a pic of the inside. This way we can see if there was any mods or anything else worth bringing to your attention. Welcome to the board mate!

thanks for the reply
it is a no stripe or black dot
some one told me that if the power trans had these #'s (105-162318) on it than it was a MK II trans
I was curious if this was tru for the OT as well.
I can post some pics soon
I have owned it since the mid 90's always very reliable
cept for some ware in the power tube sockets
No alterations have ever been done to my knowledge but I will get a pic out so you can see
I was going to sell it but now that its kinda special I think I will hold on to it.

jcp61 said:
HelpingFriendly said:

thanks for the reply
it is a no stripe or black dot
some one told me that if the power trans had these #'s (105-162318) on it than it was a MK II trans

That's the MKIIC+ tranny. Also used on some early MkIII's (Mesa didn't waste anything)

I was curious if this was tru for the OT as well.

Nope

I can post some pics soon
I have owned it since the mid 90's always very reliable
cept for some ware in the power tube sockets
No alterations have ever been done to my knowledge but I will get a pic out so you can see
I was going to sell it but now that its kinda special I think I will hold on to it.

Btw whats the serial number? I'm guessing somewhere in the 150xx range

jcp61 said:
serial number is 15525

With a serial number that 'late' I'd be surprised if it had the 105 PT.
Then again with Mesa anything is possible.
They may have found one kicking it around during production and put it in. As mentioned Mesa didn't waste anything.

I also have a 16xxx serial number black dot with the 105 tranny. Funny thing is I read a comment a while ago on a youtube video that said the black stripe / dot does not do good for metal, but all the other stripes do..... That person obviously didn't know what they were talking about.

My black dot is the metal monster! It has more gain with the lead drive on 2 than a mini rec has on 10, and the Mark is way more complex in tone. I sold my Mark IV because it paled in comparison. If I need "modern metal" a Boss "Metal zone" or a Rocktron "rampage" in channel 1 kills. Channel 3 lead is terror inducing.

I couldn't agree more!! For modern metal I use the Metal Muff, that pedal does the trick.

Markedman said:
I've a 6/85 black dot Mark lll ser. no. 16,13X with the 105.
Seanboy said:
I also have a 16xxx serial number black dot with the 105 tranny.

Yep like I said with Mesa anything is possible. :)

jcp61 pull your chassis and see if you have the 105 PT in your MkIII.

gts said:
Markedman said:
Seanboy said:

how will I tell from pulling the chassis out?

jcp61 said:
gts said:
Markedman said:
Seanboy said:

how will I tell from pulling the chassis out?

They're saying that if you pull the chassis then you'll be able to see the numbers on the bottom of the power transformer which would be 105-162318 if it's the C+ tranny. Because you amp has no reverb, or reverb tank, you should be able to see the numbers through the rectangular hole in the bottom of the head shell where the tank normally is. You're not going to see the numbers on the output trans through that hole though.

Latest posts

Back