Early Mark IV's, better, worse, different?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwayne

Reaction score
I'm considering a '93 Mark IV combo w/EV. Were there any circuit changes along the way? Any years to avoid? Better with EV or Celestion?

I want the smooth, singing, lead tone from the lead channel if that helps.

Thanks guys,

Gary

Great question, there were some changes over the years, not sure if that changed the overall tone.

As far as the speakers, that is really a mater of taste. A lot of people love the EV12Ls, I wasn't as crazy about them because it seemed they only sounded good loud. I am thinking you may want to get them if at all possible and try other speakers as well.

I would be very interested in hearing other thoughts on the 2 or 3 revs of the Mark IV.

gwayne said:
I'm considering a '93 Mark IV combo w/EV. Were there any circuit changes along the way? Any years to avoid? Better with EV or Celestion?

I want the smooth, singing, lead tone from the lead channel if that helps.

Thanks guys,

Gary

Well, if you want a smooth singing amp, a Mesa MK series is it.

A 1993 may be a MK IVA or a MK IVB. For that time period these would be the only versions. My estimation is that the MK IVB came out around 10/93. The differences in the B are tweaks to the lead channel and the reverb was redone like a IIC+ and uses a 12AX7. The A used a slightly larger PT #561136. The B uses the 561140. The B also added the switchable loop and the satellite send.

If you have a MK series amp, it was probably voiced using the EV 12L.
Using the MK IV with a good closed back 4X12 is unreal. It is a totally different amp, especially the bottom end.

Good Luck.

The originals has a switchable loop, mine has that, but not the sateliite send, which is too bad, because I have a satelitte as well and that would have been great. Oh well.

I agree. I kept the 12Ls from my combos, put Celestion V30s in my Theils and mostly run my Mark IV through 2 Marshal 4x12s with celestion G12T75s and I think it sounds incredible.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do have a good 4-12 closed back cab so that will be icing on the cake to have both available.

Latest posts

Back