Early Dual Rectifier wit factory 6550 help...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBlue13

Reaction score
I'm a proud owner of a early 94 DR, Rev G, small logo, attached power cord and 8-16 8-16 4 4 speaker outs. The amp sound amazing, and it's a keeper!
About three months ago I had the chance to get a 92 DR, Rev C, serial # 211.
Yesterday I've bought a DR, black face, serial # 590, and I should be able to pick up both amps next month since I'm outside the US right now.
I've bought it from the original owner, who said he special ordered the amp, new at the time, with 6550.
Has anyone in here seen one with factory 6550s? How would it sound? Also, would it be a Rev E circuit?
I'm really excited and can't wait to get them three together and have a blast using them at the studio.
Thanks in advance!!!
Cheers

I am 99% sure he is pulling your leg, he probably just through in some tubes he had laying around to sell it, I dont think Mesa was custom making the rectifiers back then. Your best bet is to call Mesa and ask them yourself.

SBlue13 said:
I'm a proud owner of a early 94 DR, Rev G, small logo, attached power cord and 8-16 8-16 4 4 speaker outs. The amp sound amazing, and it's a keeper!
Yesterday I've bought a DR, black face, serial # 590, and I should be able to pick up both amps next month since I'm outside the US right now.
I've bought it from the original owner, who said he special ordered the amp, new at the time, with 6550.
Has anyone in here seen one with factory 6550s? How would it sound? Also, would it be a Rev E circuit?
I'm really excited and can't wait to get them three together and have a blast using them at the studio.
Thanks in advance!!!
Cheers

Thanks for the reply siggy14.
When I've seen the add, that was exactly what I thought.
But after speaking to the seller, he told me and sent me some pictures shpowing he also had the sales receipt, original cover, footswitch and the original footswitch cable was never unwrapped! The amps is also in pristine condition.
Besides all that, he was only asking 925.00 for the amp, that was tested and it's fully working, according my good friend who is keeping the amp for me 'till I pick it up.
So, even if the amp had bad tubes that he just installed just for a sale, the amp is still a good deal, or so I thought.
I'm just curious if anyone else heard one with 6550, or even heard of another one built that way.

siggy14 said:
I am 99% sure he is pulling your leg, he probably just through in some tubes he had laying around to sell it, I dont think Mesa was custom making the rectifiers back then. Your best bet is to call Mesa and ask them yourself.

SBlue13 said:
Thanks in advance!!!
Cheers

I have got some Electro Harmonix 6550 I throw in my amp from time to time (adjustable bias is great). They sound huge. They do draw A LOT of heater current and more plate current than any el34 or 6l6 and your power tranny will get hot in a hurry at band practice/gigging volume. I plan on upgrading my power transformer eventually so I can run any power tube i want.

Thanks a lot for the replies!!!
Elpelotero, would the Rev E sound more like a Rev C, more like a Rev G, or would it be just right in between these two soundwise?

Back