Early Dual Rectifier Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leng

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Dual Rectifier. (Serial number 771 - blackface, black body).

I'm thinking about selling it since I don't use heavy distortion in my music very much anymore (though its clean channel is absolutely stellar as well).

These amps seem to be fairly sought after - in your opinion, do you think that will make them more valuable in the future than they are now?

Do you think it would be a good idea to hold onto it for a decade or two, in order to keep it in prime condition and see if its value raises?

Or, because this one isn't a Pre-500, is there slim chance of it being very valuable?

Thanks.

What you have is a revision F recto. They go from serial 650 to about 2700 and are selling for a little bit more than regular revision G but not much. Currently there are to offers on Ebay and they pop up more often than the pre-500, at least here in Germany every month one or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-2-channel-Revision-F-/121121921143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c336dd877

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-90s-Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-Head-Rev-F-S-002661-/290924896160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bc799fa0

The blackface option is more sought after and the blackface chrome chassis most sought. Don't know if they get more valuable with time :?:

I honestly don't think the value will rise considerably enough to warrant keeping it now. You may gain a few hundred bucks at most, I feel. As mentioned, there are over 2,000 pieces of that revision. The value is placed more on the "pre-500" amps...But, not even necessarily so. Allow me to explain...

I purchased my Revision D on ebay nearly 8 years ago for $900. The buzz for these amps began to rise, and around that time, I also purchased a C and an E for less than $1000 each. Nobody knew about them much, or how to differentiate them from a regular rectifier. Now, the market is more informed. Today, you can still get a Revision C, D, or E for much less than $2,000. Revision F and G for less than $1500. The price increase has not been staggeringly high over the course of nearly 10 years.

Now, take the Mark IIC+ as an example. Ten years ago, you could easily pick up a simul-class fully loaded combo for less than $1500, or if you were lucky, even under $1000. Now, even the poorest, modified examples of a IIC+ start at $2000 minimum. A clean all original fully loaded C+ can go for $3000-$4000. The market here is much more sought after. Then again, this amp is more rare compared to the number of Revision F and Revision G rectifiers out there. And it's also close to 30 years old. It doesn't hurt that Metallica used this model amplifier either.

If you want to use the money to get something that will make you happy over the next 10 years, to me that's more valuable than the $300 you may gain.

Thanks a lot for the information and advice, guys.

I have noticed there are a lot fewer amps actually successfully selling on eBay these days then there were a few years ago (of all types and brands). I think I'm going to wait a bit - not to try to get more per say, just to see if the market picks up again to ensure I at least get what she's worth if I decide to let her go.

I really love this amp. I just spent a few hours cleaning her inside and out. I might just keep her cased in the basement for a while to see if I ever have a need for a band-level amp again.

Latest posts

Back