Early 90's two channel Dual and Triple Recs vs. 3 channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techpeck

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a triple rectifier and it is the three channel version. While looking up some other things around the message boards, I have come upon the opions of many people that the 2 channel recs (the older ones) sound much better than the model I have. If this is true, why? And are they worth swaping for?

The 2-ch ones seem to be a bit warmer sounding. Is that better? Tone is so subjective, and only you know what you hear in your head as the "perfect tone". That said, I think the 3-ch kicks ***, but it all depends on what you're after. They are not radically different.

I pretty much agree with NoGlassNoClass. The 2 channel heads are a little warmer sounding due to there being not as much presence. It's a subtle issue though.

This is my interpetation of the 3 channel heads:

The cleans are pretty good on them. The pushed modes sounds pretty good as well.

The 2nd channel is supposed to be voiced toward what the older 2 channels were, but it's a tad bit different. It's not quite as smooth, but it gets the job done. The Raw and Vintage modes sound better to me than the channel cloning options on the 2 channel heads.....especially the Vintage mode.

The 3rd channel has a lot more presence and is more in your face than the older 2 channel versions or channel 2 on the three channel heads. I was able to get some cool Classic Rock tones in the Raw mode with some whacky EQ settings (don't ask me what they were because I've completley forgotten them). The Vintage mode sounds pretty good on this channel as well and the Modern is no holds barred Modern Recto.

There is a little bit more saturation to the preamp gain structure on the 3 channel heads due to the added presence and voicing of the preamp and power amp.

I have an early 90's 2 channel Triple Rectifier and have owned every incarnation of the Recto. I wouldn't discredit the 3 channel heads for anything. They have their attributes and do certain things better than the older 2 channel heads and it's vice/versa. It all depends on your preference and what vibe of the Recto that you want to go after.

The main overall factor is that they're all Rectos. They're just different shades of the color. I like the 3 channel heads as well. :)

Dale

ive heard 2ch t-rec's and i think they sound way WAY better than todays models. and i can back that up by a co-worker of mine who owns
a major studio (six-feet-under's newest album).
he swears by mid 90's dual recs.
we had a mid 90's 2ch t-rec come in and someone had installed
EL34's in it (not hard to do, just pop em in and flick the bias switch)
and it was one of THE best high gain sound ive ever heard.
clean sounds were bright and sparkly but not shrill.
try it, its worth the 120 bucks.

This seems to be the on going debate with Recto owners.

I own a triple channel dual recto but have played a few dual channel recto's. Since it takes a little time to dial in your sound on a mesa and since I don't own a dual channel recto, I tend to lean towards the triple channel version. If I had a dual channel at home to mess around with and put side by side with my triple channel playing the same guitar, I might have a different opinion.

The deciding factor for me however was versitility. I play in a cover band so to be able to get as many sounds and having as many options as possible in one amp was very important to me. Having three channels was a big factor when I bought my amp but I wasn't willing to substitute tone either. I think the triple channel sounds killer but I havn't heard a bad sounding recto so I don't think you could go wrong either way. It's just personal opinion.

Latest posts

Back