Earcandy - Best Cab to Compliment My Mark IIC+ Tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crestwood1972

Reaction score
I have been doing a fair amount of reading on this site and others regarding this issue.

Given that we're talking specifically about a IIC+ and that I am interested in bringing out the full richness in tones when playing everything from a slow blues to AC/DC to Metallica ...

My take is that Celestion V30 would be a good choice, but that the Mesa Thiele would probably be better.

However ...

I have been reading a few posts here and there, by very few people mind you, who swear by Earcandy cabs. They sound like heaven. But can I believe what I'm reading given the seemingly few who actually own them? I mean, are all these posts written by the same guy in the backroom of the Earcandy factory staring at a pile of unpaid bills?

I don't think so, but in this day and age, who really knows.

Anyway, I am leaning heavily towards going with an Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 cab.

Here are the speaker choices I am considering:

Celestion
----------
Alnico Gold
Alnico Blue
G12H
G12M
V30
Greenback
G12T75

EMI
----
Scholz Sugarcone

They offer others (earcandycabs.com).

My question is, does anybody actually own one of these Earcandys?

And whether you own one or not, what speaker do you feel would best compliment this particular amp?

And please feel free to mention ANY speaker and cabinet maker. My ears are wide open.

Thanks.

I use a Earcandy Sov with my Mark IIB head. My Mark IIB originally was a Combo, after purchasing the Sov I changed it over to a head and used the Sov.
I also have 2 other Boogie 1X12 cabs (one loaded with a Cannibus Rex and the other a old Celestion G12h-80 out of a 70's Marshall 4x12)
They sound good but IMHO don't hold a candle to the Sovs control and tone.
The difference??? All around tighter sound, bigger bolder bottom end. Very smooth across the frequency range.
My Sov has a Legend 121 8 ohm.

I think Tim works very hard at getting you the tones you expect from your cabinet. Mine was custom built for my tastes and the Mark IIB tonal range.

I have not played thru a Buzzbomb or any other Earcandy Cabinet so I can't offer you any info on those cabinets.

However mines a perfect match for my tastes. :D

Thanks gts, Dutchman.

I have a IIC+ head.

I emailed Tim and he recommended the Earcandy GreenMachine speaker. Says it is a particularly good match with the Mark series.

I have also heard good things about the Earcandy Sholz Sugarcone. Pricey at $225 per speaker, but supposedly incredible sound reproduction with a fantastic bass response.

I BOUGHT AN EARCANDY 1X12 PORTED CAB WITH AN EMINENCE GOVERNOR SPEAKER I BELIEVE. I PLAYED THROUGH THE CAB WITH MY MARK IIC+ AND IT SOUNDED OK. MY FRIEND JOEY (BOOGIE BOARD MEMBER) HAD A MESA 1X12 THIELE WITH EVM-12L SPEAKER. HE HAD AN EXTRA EV AND I PUT IT IN THE EARCANDY CAB- IT HELPED ALOT AND THEN I COMPARED IT WITH THE THIELE. THE THIELE CABINET SOUNDED MUCH BETTER IN BOTTOM END AND THE VOLUME IT PROJECTED. THE EARCANDY CAB IS MADE VERY WELL, BUT WHEN PUT SIDE BY SIDE THE THIELE WON HANDS DOWN AND I SOLD THE EARCANDY CABINET. THE HYPE ABOUT THE THIELE IS TRUE. I WAS LUCKY TO HEAR THEM SIDE BY SIDE AND FOR MY TASTES THE THIELE IS BETTER.OF COURSE THIS IS MY OPINION AND HAVE NOT PLAYED THROUGHTHE 2X12 THAT EARCANDY MAKES.
JAY

My combo has the EVM. It sounds amazing running it along with the Thiele. I really want to try a 2x12 loaded with a pair of Tone Tubby alnicos. It sounds like most people either love them or hate them. They are super pricey so I would like to try them out first before taking a chance on them.

thanks guys, this is what i was looking for, some real-world A/B comparisons. i've definitely heard a lot of good things about the thiele, particularly with the EVM 12L.

anybody ever hear the earcandy greenmachine speaker in action? or the ec scholz sugarcone?

I'm playing a MkIV combo w/EVM 12L and Thiele w/EVM 12L.
end of search..
1 Result. :D

well, i'm going to roll the dice and get an earcandy sovereign 1x12 with the ec scholz sugarcone speaker.

then, whenever i get around to knocking off another liquor store, i'm going to score a mesa thiele 1x12 with EVM 12L and compare the two.

Latest posts

Back