dual vs triple tone ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danvortex

Reaction score
is there a difference in tone between a 2 channels dual and a 2 channels triple rectifier if they were built the same year ??

It's subjective i'm sure. If you can A/B em I'd do that. I think the main difference would be mostly noticible in large venues. The triple would definitely have a cleaner head room.

50w, 100w, 150w are all loud. It's just a question of how much articulation and bass response you want real loud.

clutch71 said:
...The triple would definitely have a cleaner head room....

+1 that's really the only difference. Both share the same preamp circuit and have very similar tones. The Triple is punchier, less flubby, and has better cleans (IMO) because of the increased headroom.

Tighter Recto tone at levels which can make you lose control of bodily functions = Triple. If you want the power tubes to give up the goods at more manageable volumes look elsewhere.

i pulled two tubes out of my triple because i just never used enough power to justify it, but it's nice to have the option if you need it, and i think triples are only 100 bucks extra in the states.

jaredrutledge said:
i pulled two tubes out of my triple because i just never used enough power to justify it, but it's nice to have the option if you need it, and i think triples are only 100 bucks extra in the states.

This is just me, but I've never been a proponent of this on Triples. I'm not an engineer, but to me it makes sense that when you pull a set of tubes out from a Triple, the impedance gets cut by 1/3. However, when you pull tubes out of a Dual, you cut the impedance by 1/2. Cutting by half is OK because speaker loads go in halves: 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm, 16ohm. They don't go in 1/3's, so you would be putting an awkward load on the output transformer.

Latest posts

Back