dual thieles or 2 recto 1x12s?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I have a dual thiele setup and a mark IV shorthead and love the tone and bottom end I get out of it, but I'm wondering if I am missing out on the tone of 2 v30 loaded 1x12 recto cabs or some other cab? I know JP loves his 4x12 recto cab and describes it as "it just sounds right", but I don't want a 4x12 for size, weight, and price reasons. I'm sure the thieles are going to have better low end than the recto cabs, but curiosity is getting the best of me!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Adam

Um, how about a 3/8 stack?

Rig2-1.jpg

A sealed cab (recto 1x12) might be a bit more "punchy", as a true sealed cab should be. But the day that I will trade my ported thieles for any other 1x12's, there will be grapefruit size hailstones in Hades. Especially the EV loaded ones. Oh yeah, I sold both of my 4x12 V30 loaded Standard Recto MESA cabs, and do not miss them a bit :D .

Either stick with dual thieles, or go for one thiele and one open back, but I'd stay away from the Recto 1x12's, I don't think the V30's sound that great with the Mark IV IMO. Everytime I go to plug in my Recto 2x12 (to any of my amps), it just reminds me why I have the thiele and open back with EV's. :D

It also depends on the style of music you are playing. Keep your Theile cabs and consider adding another cab that you can switch with. Maybe a 1x12 3/4 back or a LSC 2x12 cab (which is what I havewith my Theile cabs)

I actually had an open back at one time, but with two thieles and an open back, it would be hard to use them all at the same time, so I sold the open back. I wasn't fond of the tone of it. It might have been the G12H30 speaker, but in any case, I got rid of it. I try to only keep what I will be able to use at a gig sitting around. If I were to get another cab, it would be to replace the thieles, but it sounds like the thieles are the way to go, and I am happy with them! Like I said, I wanted to get some opinions on the recto cabs vs the thieles since JP seems to like the recto cabs...

I actually had an open back at one time, but with two thieles and an open back, it would be hard to use them all at the same time, so I sold the open back. I wasn't fond of the tone of it. It might have been the G12H30 speaker, but in any case, I got rid of it. I try to only keep what I will be able to use at a gig sitting around. If I were to get another cab, it would be to replace the thieles, but it sounds like the thieles are the way to go, and I am happy with them! Like I said, I wanted to get some opinions on the recto cabs vs the thieles since JP seems to like the recto cabs...

although i really love my MKIII trough my thiele and open back cabs (both with EVs) i also have a 1x12' Recto cab (courtesy of a cool BB member 8) ) and i get WONDERFULL results with it on the 15 watts setting with EL34s on the III's rhy 2 ch., cool brit vibe.

just to got you itching even more :D :wink:

and for only 250usd more you cant go wrong, i mean, the possibilities make it worth, easily.

I really like my 1x12 3/4 cabinets in a stacked configuration. Gives me decent punch and bass, while still a little breathy, 3D, and "big" sounding.

I might end up running a Celestion 90 on top and V30 on bottom. The C90 does feel warmer versus the V30 which has a midrange spike and more in your face. The Roadster Dual Recto and V30 tones sound a bit harsh to me compared to the C90 but the V30 may record/mic better.

Latest posts

Back