Dual Recto - GZ34 rectifier tubes ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydro

Reaction score
From an earlier thread response posted by Authorized Boogie (edited for clarity) -

"We DO NOT recommend GZ34's.... in a Dual Rectifier! The amp was not designed for it - and we've seen amps here for repair damaged by both GZ34's..."

I had gone with the GZ34s to get less rectifier sag & squishyness but not going all the way to the diode rectifier. From what I understand, Mesa sells a tube that does this, which is branded as a 5AR4/GZ34.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/5archin.html

Is this tube OK to use in a Dual Recto or is it for a different amplifier line? How is it different from a JJ GZ34?

Thanks!

I am interested in this thread..as I have a JJ GZ34 in my Blue Angel.. So Bump!!

I tried them in my F rev recto and everytime when I switched from diode to tube it blown fuse...I gave them to my friend who owns G rev recto he use them without issue... :?

wolf said:
I tried them in my F rev recto and everytime when I switched from diode to tube it blown fuse......
That is my experience as well, blown fuses in a Triple & Roadster. I'll stick to what the amp was designed for.

hydro said:
From an earlier thread response posted by Authorized Boogie (edited for clarity) -

"We DO NOT recommend GZ34's.... in a Dual Rectifier! The amp was not designed for it - and we've seen amps here for repair damaged by both GZ34's..."

I had gone with the GZ34s to get less rectifier sag & squishyness but not going all the way to the diode rectifier. From what I understand, Mesa sells a tube that does this, which is branded as a 5AR4/GZ34.

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/5archin.html

Is this tube OK to use in a Dual Recto or is it for a different amplifier line? How is it different from a JJ GZ34?

Thanks!
While Mesa may sell 5AR4/GZ34's, The Rectos are not designed for them.

My experience with GZ34 vs 5U4GB rectifiers is that they work best with low preamp gain and a lot of power tube saturation (volume), you really need to crank the amp to hear/feel the difference, and in a band situation I couldn't tell the difference anyway. I had to get the amp so loud to really tell the difference that I was drowning everybody else out (including the bass :twisted: ).

As soon as I switched to the High Gain modes the differences were null.

YMMV

Dom

Back