Dual Recto Cab Hookup Questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alheeren

Reaction score
Hey, gang!

I need some help with cab hook up questions with my Dual Rectifier and cabs.

1. Up until now I have been running a singlecable from 8 ohms out of my DR into the 8 ohms in on my 4X12 stock Recto cab. Is this the right setup? My user manual sugggests 8 ohms out into a "single" 8 ohm speaker and I have 4 in my cab.

2. I just picked up a Mesa 2X12 and it is also an 8 ohm cab. If using both cabs live it's my understanding that I hook up 4 ohms out to the 4X12 8 ohms in (mic'd) and 4 ohms out to the 2X12 8 ohms in (side fill/monitor). Is this correct?

I welcome any and all suggestions and advice!

Thanks!

alheeren said:
1. Up until now I have been running a singlecable from 8 ohms out of my DR into the 8 ohms in on my 4X12 stock Recto cab. Is this the right setup? My user manual sugggests 8 ohms out into a "single" 8 ohm speaker and I have 4 in my cab.

The Recto 4x12 is a single 8ohm cab.

2. I just picked up a Mesa 2X12 and it is also an 8 ohm cab. If using both cabs live it's my understanding that I hook up 4 ohms out to the 4X12 8 ohms in (mic'd) and 4 ohms out to the 2X12 8 ohms in (side fill/monitor). Is this correct?

Connect the 4ohm output on the amp to the 8ohm input on the Recto 4x12.

Connect the other 4ohm output on the amp to the 8ohm input on the Mesa 2x12.

Alternatively, you can daisy chain the cabs together. You do this by connecting the amp's 4ohm output to the 4x12s 8ohm input, then connecting the 4x12's 8ohm output to the 2x12s 8ohm input.

The 4ohm INPUTS on the 4x12 aren't used in this scenario.

I recommend using the first method (both cabs connected separately to the back the amp) because it is the simplest and the least likely to get f*cked up on a dark stage (you can block off the other three jacks on the back of the 4x12 so that people won't accidentally plug your cable into the wrong hole), and having both cabs hooked up separately serves as a redundancy should someone accidentally disconnect one of your cabs.

Thanks for the info, SD, it helped a lot!
If running two cabs connect the two 4 ohms out on amp to 8 ohms in on cabs.

So it's ok if I'm using either cab alone to just run a single 8 ohms out of the amp to 8 ohms in to the 4x12 or 2x12 then, yes?

alheeren said:
Thanks for the info, SD, it helped a lot!
If running two cabs connect the two 4 ohms out on amp to 8 ohms in on cabs.

So it's ok if I'm using either cab alone to just run a single 8 ohms out of the amp to 8 ohms in to the 4x12 or 2x12 then, yes?

Yes.

Just be forewarned, you will have half of the power going to your 2 x 12 and half of the power going to your 4 x 12 so the speakers in the 4 x 12 will be working half as hard.

Heres a question...if I have the choice of the 8ohm out of my head to the 8ohm in on the cab, or the 4ohm out of my head to the 4ohm in on the cab. Which is better, or is it all the same?

Thatguy said:
Heres a question...if I have the choice of the 8ohm out of my head to the 8ohm in on the cab, or the 4ohm out of my head to the 4ohm in on the cab. Which is better, or is it all the same?

We're talking your Recto 4x12, correct?

If so, the 8ohm input on the cab is fed to all four speakers. The 4ohm input on the cab only feeds two speakers.

Latest posts

Back