Dual Rectifiers only good for metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich2k4

Reaction score
recently played a dual recto, and in my opinion it had the best cleans out of all the halfstacks that i played. but now is it only good for metal? or is it able to do some classic rock/80's rock tones?

for example, stuff like Dokken, Van Halen, etc

im not really a marshall fan, so mesa is my next choice.

rich2k4 said:
recently played a dual recto, and in my opinion it had the best cleans out of all the halfstacks that i played. but now is it only good for metal? or is it able to do some classic rock/80's rock tones?

for example, stuff like Dokken, Van Halen, etc

im not really a marshall fan, so mesa is my next choice.
You should feel at home with a Dual Rectifier. No problem playing anything from moderate gain to high gain => should cover cleans, classic Rock, 80 hair band, shredding, metal, ...

The clean on ch1 of the DR's is nice for fusion, jazz, blues. I set it on Spongy and Vacuum tube rec with a tele for some Keith Richards stuff. Very versatile amp. Not just for metal.

I think you are good to play some classic rock on a dual. It might take some tweaking, but so does anything.

A rectifier won't really get too close to Van Halen.. too marshally, the Stiletto on the other hand NAILS it.

There are some great classic rock tones though.. explore the 'raw' mode on channel 2 as well as the pushed mode of channel 1... LOTS of ground covered there.

Platypus said:
A rectifier won't really get too close to Van Halen.. too marshally, the Stiletto on the other hand NAILS it.

There are some great classic rock tones though.. explore the 'raw' mode on channel 2 as well as the pushed mode of channel 1... LOTS of ground covered there.

Especiallly the ACE when cranked! Wholly Crap I love that amp!

Guitarzan said:
Platypus said:

Especiallly the ACE when cranked! Wholly Crap I love that amp!

STOOOOOOOP :(

I'm so close to ordering it this Friday.. in fact when I bring my 58 LP to the store to play it, if it blows me away like it did with a different LP I'll be ordering one on the spot.

By chance, did you play a 1x12 or 2x12? (not to derail this thread)

Guitarzan said:
2X12! Do it, Do it!

Did it have good bass response? Was it heavy?

I keep bouncing between 1 and 2 12's... the shop said the 1x12 had better bass.

Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:
2X12! Do it, Do it!

Did it have good bass response? Was it heavy?

I keep bouncing between 1 and 2 12's... the shop said the 1x12 had better bass.

Really? I thought the 2X12 was pretty chunky. I like the second channel in Tite w/tube recto. Man, what tone. These guys have the 2X12. This is where i get most of my stuff. They don't list it but they do carry MESA.

I just called Mesa and it seems like the 1x12 is more up my alley. I really love the tone of one speaker getting punished. I just don't want to run out of headroom like I do on my Orange 1x12 so I'm kind of worried about it.

Wish I could demo both in the same place :\

The little 1x12 was LOUD as hell though, way louder than my Orange would ever get so I think I'm comparing apples to oranges here. (pun intended)

Platypus said:
I just called Mesa and it seems like the 1x12 is more up my alley. I really love the tone of one speaker getting punished. I just don't want to run out of headroom like I do on my Orange 1x12 so I'm kind of worried about it.

Wish I could demo both in the same place :\

The little 1x12 was LOUD as hell though, way louder than my Orange would ever get so I think I'm comparing apples to oranges here. (pun intended)

Awesome! The 2X12 as well was LOUD and bright. I'm thinking of ordering a head in purple tolex!

Back