Dual Rectifier Vs. Lone Star

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Lonestar.

I have a 3ch Dual Rec.

Save up for the DR, keep the LS.

The Lonestar is like NO OTHER Boogie!!!!! Mesa built the LS right, it is the Fender Twin that Fender didn't build.

The DR is Hi Gain. My DR has a nice clean channel and but is doesn't come even close to the LS clean w/reverb, IMHO.

The gain sounds on the LS are good, better with a Clean Boosted TS-9 or SD-1. But hey, I boost my DR too, FWIW.

Apples and Oranges.

Don't sell the LS.....

You are going to regret something one way or another. Either you will regret not getting the DR or you will eventually regret getting rid of the great sounding and great priced LS.

I would keep the Lonestar and put a good pedal in front of it to cover any tone you can't get. Save a little money and get a DR too. Imagine how cool that will be and since you are into studio engineering it is easy to justify.

Wait, you are a studio engineer and are considering getting rid of the LS???
:?:
With all the tonal possibilities I'm trully shocked.

We recently reviewed the Lone Star at MusicPlayers.com (I'm the editor in chief) and our senior editor Matt Pinson found it to be one of the greatest sounding amps in the history of rock. For fans of vintage/classic tone, it is incredible. But what it is NOT is a Mesa/Boogie high-gain metal amp.

So while the Lone Star is incredible in its own right, clearly it's just not the right Boogie for you.

If you can spring for it, the new Road King Version 2 supposedly has the clean channel from the Lone Star, and of course the heavy dual-rectifier sound for heavy stuff. It also has the reverb from the Lone Star. I have one of these coming into our testing labs within the next 2 weeks for review.

If anyone wants to check out the Lone Star review, you can read it here:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0706_MesaBoogieLoneStar.php

Scott

Not sure when we'll get to spend some serious time with the Lone Star Special. We have a review of the Stiletto coming out in August and the Road King V2 in September, and then some other amps as well along the way.

Back