DUAL RECTIFIER TREM-O-VERB Solo Boost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Twist

Reaction score
I have an older 100Watt Mesa/Boogie DUAL RECTIFIER TREM-O-VERB 2X12 combo.
Bought new around 1994. I love it. Here's the issue I need help with.
I'm trying to create a "Solo" boost for lead guitar solos.
I'd like to use the FX loop and not push the frontend so as to further overdrive the preamp.
The parallel FX loop is difficult for me to deal with in this manor.
I want to use the FX loop as a cut at around 85% and when the FX loop is disengaged the power amp stage would return to unity gain.
I could toss a rack-mount EQ set "flat" with it's output cut back in the loop and use this to create the "cut".
This method doesn't affect the tone or preamp gain as it's happening just prior to the power stage.
I know this is a great method because I do this on other guitar amps with perfect results.
However the other guitar amps have series FX loops.
Can you please give me some guidance and suggestions on using the FX loop on my DUAL RECTIFIER TREM-O-VERB to create a cut when engaged and then when disengaged return the power stage to unity gain?
It's hard for me to believe this is impossible. Thank you.

I've never owned a Tremoverb, but could you just adjust the volume levels of the loop vs loop off with the channel masters/loop master/send level/return level? They are all there to attain unity...What if you went the other way?

jbird, I'm fairly sure we've tried this, but will try it again. I'll post again in a few days to report the results.

Also, I keep forgetting how thankful I am for the responses to this thread, and I will report back when I'm done getting this resolved.
I can say that I will be doing the MOD posted here third post from start Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 pm.
I'm no fan of any parallel FX loop.

I'm pretty sure the loop with nothing in it can boost or cut when turned on and off.

The parallel loop can be modified to be a series loop. I think I remember it being a very simple modification that anyone can do.

Thank you stephen. Everything tells me we've already tried getting the loop to boost or cut when turned on and off. Sorry everyone, but this DUAL RECTIFIER TREM-O-VERB Solo Boost is the Amp our other Guitarist is using. He lives a distance away and it is ponderous for him to find time outside of rehearsal to test these options. We will certainly get these suggestions tested very soon. I'm thankful for all the replies, and will post quickly when this is satisfactorily resolved.
I mentioned in an earlier post within this thread that Mesa got back to me concerning this and there is in fact, as stephen has just stated, "a very simple modification that anyone can do". http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-28/1413086-
I'm looking forward to testing once again getting the loop to boost or cut when turned on and off.

Would this work?

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/mxr-mc401-custom-audio-electronics-boost-line-driver?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=3277007685&gclid=CM6svMmg-MoCFQiQaQodHikHYA

Set "LOOP SELECT" to EXT SW
Set " MIX LEVEL" to 0%
Set "SEND LEVEL" to whatever amount of boost or cut you want when you engage the loop.

Works perfect..... I just did it here with my Tremoveb. Nothing is needed but a footswitch for "LOOP" in " EXTERNAL SWITCHING" ..... All on the back of the amp. No modifications are needed. I don't think this will work if you do the series loop modification.

Thanks Single Recto, I can't wait to try what you've posted. Never though of that configuration.
Set "LOOP SELECT" to EXT SW
Set " MIX LEVEL" to 0%
Set "SEND LEVEL" to whatever amount of boost or cut you want when you engage the loop.
My resolution is below, and we've since put a Chorus in the loop along with the Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal.
I like your solution better and we'll probably put the Chorus pedal back in the chain leading to the front of the amp if we dissolve or own solution.

Doing it my own way I can say the issue is resolved.
To begin I toggled the Loop Select between “LOOP BYPASS” and “FX On ORG. & RED.”
Adjusting the volume difference between these two positions with the LOOP ACTIVE MASTER making sure there was no noticeable disappointing difference in overall volume output. The Amps FX Mix Control is set to 100% and the Effects Loop Send Level Control is set at 75%.
Then I patched in a Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal to the FX Loop and set the Loop Select to “FX On ORG. & RED.”
Once this was done I turned the Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal on and off adjusting its volume level to the desired boost, which ended up being about 75%
The tone knob on the Modtone MT-CB is set at 12 O'clock.
The desired "Solo Boost" is now working fine. The Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal is located out at the base of the vocal mic and monitor with the other stompboxes and the Mesa channel select box.
Once it was working and did the job we were wishing for I did not try turning the FX Loop off and on with any external foot switch.
I let well enough alone and the "Solo Boost" can be achieved by switching the Modtone MT-CB Clean Boost Pedal on using its foot switch.

Latest posts

Back