Dual Rectifier Retube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prs_cky

Reaction score
I want to retube my 3 channel Dual Rectifier with some kickass tubes. I've been reading around and the ruby tubes 6L6's seem to come up often. Other than that I have no clue what to get as far as pre amp tubes and power amp. Suggestions please... I play heavy stuff but also my clean channel could use some help. thanks guys

I'm loving the JJ E-34Ls in my Dual recto....tightens the bass on the amp, which I find to be WAY to muddy with any 6L6 tube.

Still huge and bassy....just tighter and punchy!

JJ retube kit from Eurotubes (American company) worked fine for me.
Just the regular kit not any of the hybrids or specials. Although if you read reviews there are many ways to skin the cat on this.

To say the regular retube kit from Eurotubes worked fine is a huge understatement. What I have is a totally new amp here.
P.s I did not change out the rectifier tubes.

Eurotubes.com ... very knowledgable guys you can call on the phone. They will ask you what you have and what you are doing and make suggestions...then they hand pick your tubes and send em out.

Sweet

nickyboy said:
To say the regular retube kit from Eurotubes worked fine is a huge understatement. What I have is a totally new amp here.
P.s I did not change out the rectifier tubes.

Eurotubes.com ... very knowledgable guys you can call on the phone. They will ask you what you have and what you are doing and make suggestions...then they hand pick your tubes and send em out.

Sweet

Absolutely. I just did a complete retube (including rectifier tubes) of my Road King with Eurotubes and saved $80 bucks versus if I would have bought Mesa tubes.

How do they sound: Awesome beyond belief

I've been retubing with Mesa tubes since 1991 and it has been hit & miss whenever I ordered new tubes. Nothing reeks my butt worse than when you dish out over $200 bucks and get a set of weak/mushy tubes. Bob at Eurotubes will do a perfect match/balance of tubes specifically for your model of amplifier. He goes way out of his way to pamper his customers and give them exactly what they want. I can't quite figure out how my tube order made it from Oregon to South Texas in a day and a half. Give Eurotubes a try, you will not be disappointed, I'm a customer for life.

Don't check them out just yet. I have experience with Eurotubes and JJ's. They are good tubes for a good price. The customer service is fantastic! However, if you want your Rectifier to to be the best it can possibly be this is what you do.

Go to GrooveTubes.com.
Order two 12AX7-C preamp tubes for V1 and V2
Order one SAG-AX7-MPI for V5

That's it. You do NOT need to order any power tubes or rectifier tubes. If you REALLY want to you can order another 12AX7-C for V3. But that's it. I swear to you this is the best thing you can do. I know, because I did this. I ordered the Hi-gain kit from Eurotubes. I put them in my Dual Rectifer. It was "ok". I'm not knocking them. But when I put in those Groove Tubes, BEAUTIFUL!! I then ordered the Marshall High-gain Kit from Groove Tubes and put them in my Stiletto. It blew away the hi-gain kit from Eurotubes. In fact, I had to take the JJ's out because it was hissing, and I lost all sensitivity to the knobs. Don't fall into the JJ's hype as being the end all tube. There are other and better things out there. Let me know how it goes.

I have had the best luck with Tung-Sols in V1 and V2 of the preamp sockets. Chinese in the rest, as they are cheaper.

right now i have mesa 6l6's, JJ GZ34's, and mesa 12ax7's.

in a few weeks it'll be: JJ EL-34L's, JJ GZ34's, Tun-Sol + JJ 12ax7's.

i'm so excited to mix and match and see what works best. i probably think about it too much because i've been having dreams about when i get my EL-34L's and them sounding absolutely amazing. hopefully i won't be disappointed :p

that's why i'm excited to hear it!! i just wish the tubes were here now :(

But what do those do JJ or Tung Sol pre-amp tubes do to the clean sound ? In my case (Tremoverb) I would like to keep or improve the clean sound as well as the gain tones. The Tung-Sol are good for that too ?

Latest posts

Back