Dual Rectifier - Pulling Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinluckhurst

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this has been covered before. If you pull the centre two tubes and a rectifier tube out of a Dual Rectifier, do you need to change which speaker jack you connect the cabinet to? I use an 8ohm cab and plug into the 8ohm socket, would this change if the amp was running at half power?

Also are there any adverse effects of pulling tubes, other than possibly wearing the remaining tubes out faster?

Cheers,
ML

You plug the 8 ohm speaker into the 4ohm jack when running w/ two tubes pulled. You are causing wear to the tubes that are in the amp but I do not think you are causing them to prematurely wear.

I've ran my Dual in this configuration and the volume drop is minimal. I think the bass response really suffers. I don't do it. I just suffer at low volumes when the wife and kids are around.

Another thing, if the two tubes in the unit wear and need replacing, can you replace them with the two tubes you took out?

Also is it worth covering the empty sockets with some for of tape etc?
ML

martinluckhurst said:
Another thing, if the two tubes in the unit wear and need replacing, can you replace them with the two tubes you took out?

Also is it worth covering the empty sockets with some for of tape etc?
ML

yes. and no.

BTW, you would only wear the tubes faster if you did an incorrect impedance (i.e. you did not follow the above instructions about 4ohm)

Latest posts

Back