Dual Rectifier Issue... HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syrinx-M

Reaction score
I am new to using tube amps and am borrowing a friends Dual Rectifier. It was working fine for the first few weeks I had it, but one day started making a cracking and popping noise once I turned the stand-by on and got ready to play. It also blew a few fuses, which my friend said happened to him.

The other guitarist in my band recently purchased a new Dual Rec and took a look and noticed that the rectifier tubes in mine don't match what he has (factory). He has two of the GB's and the head I'm using has a G (looks like a large Edison light bulb) and the other is the smaller GB.

Do both rectifier tubes have to match (GB's)? Is that what's causing my problem? The head I am using had all of the tubes replaced when my friend purchased it.

Please help!!! Thanx!

I would recommend having them match, i would think they would need to, in the mean time, run it on diode rectifier and see if it still has problems. Leave it on diode until you get some new tubes.

Zoomzilla said:
I would recommend having them match, i would think they would need to, in the mean time, run it on diode rectifier and see if it still has problems. Leave it on diode until you get some new tubes.

It's currently on diode mode...

In diode mode the rectifier tubes are not used so you have a problem elsewhere.

A bad rectifier tube will still blow the fuse even in the Silicon Diode setting. If you're running in Diode, just take the rectifier tubes out of the amp until you can get new ones.

NoGlassNoClass said:
A bad rectifier tube will still blow the fuse even in the Silicon Diode setting. If you're running in Diode, just take the rectifier tubes out of the amp until you can get new ones.

Thanx, I'll try that and see what happens.

Check the rectifier and power tubes, both can blow fuses. The rectifier tubes don't have to be matched and they can cause a fuse to blow even when in the solid state position.
Jerry

I replaced one of the Rectifier tubes today and switched it back to tube mode and it sounds fine.

It still pops and cracks a little on diode mode so I think I'm going to have it looked at.

Thanx for the info guys!

Back