Dual Rectifier all output is gone plus static electric smell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
UGH! My Dual rec. less then a year old has just died on me, for no apparent reason.

i swapped my dual rectifier onto my 4 by 12 cabinet after the stiletto had helds its place for a few weeks and juiced it up, everyuthign was fine, i spent all of sunday rocking out, loudish volumes, loud enough to piss someone off but not as loud as its been for practice and gigs, and everythign was great, i let it warm up extra long and cool down extra long since its been out of commision, so before i go to bed i turn it back on to do some clean licks, stuff i was working on, and its very quiet, i turn up the master volume, and it gets loud but it literally doesnt get to loud bedroom levels until its almost all the way up. i then freak out and go thru the process, i swap out the power tubes and rectifier (only backups i had available) and no change, i change cables, check the impedance of the cab etc. everything is fine. i listen to see if all the speakers in the cab are functioning, they are all working just super low output, i try all the channels, i try different power outlets, and im starting to get angry, it sounds like its getting all the preamp distortion but its just not loud anymore, i go thru setting the loop off, etc. and no change its all the same, i start to notice a electronic smell, like static electricity and immediately shut it off in fear of the worst.

10 minutes later i slap my stiletto head back on there (at 1 in the morning now because ive been screwing around trying to fix this amp for so long) and it sings loud and clear, not one problem, so i know its the amp itself because its the only thing added to the equation that causes these issues!

ugh i reseated all the pre amp tubes and checked them out and they looked fine (thinking it was an effects loop return buffer tube or something) i just cant figure it out!!!!

im just upset i mean i dont mind rocking out on my stiletto for a while more but i mean come on, nothing like one of your babies being hurt!

can anyone help?

oh and btw i am bringing it into a mesa authorized repair place, thank god for warranties

It sounds like you've done everything I would've done. I had a power switch burn out once that did the same sorta thing, but who can say for sure until it's checked out?

Though you were unable to find the problem, your method of diagnosis was impeccable! Good Luck!

Assuming you had the correct load match for the speaker cab, This can be an issue w/ DR's. I have known DR's to blow the output transformer if a load is not connected to the amp and power is applied. Just a sanity check...

Back