Dual Rec with a Marshall 1960av

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bag

Reaction score
can't help but notice it feels like it's holding back... a lot... it sounds great, but I've heard a lot of DR's sound much much better. Could it just be my cab? I've heard Mesa cabs have a lot more low end. Could this be it?

also... I bought the head used, can anyone tell me where I could figure out what year it was made?

See if you can try it through some other cabs. Try it through anything, and if that changes the quality of what you think is being held back, take it further. Mesa Recto cabs do have more low end (because they're bigger), but they're also going to be looser than the Marshall cab. Maybe this is what you're going for though?

As for age, look for the serial #. I know on the 2 channel versions, it's on the back right when looking at it from the rear. Then give Mesa a call and ask. Or you could open up the amp and I think it says on the circuit board....I'm not sure. Give Mesa a call, they'll tell you.

bag said:
can't help but notice it feels like it's holding back... a lot... it sounds great, but I've heard a lot of DR's sound much much better. Could it just be my cab? I've heard Mesa cabs have a lot more low end. Could this be it?

also... I bought the head used, can anyone tell me where I could figure out what year it was made?

I had the same problem. The music store didn't have the 4x12 Mesa cab, so I got a Marshall 4x12 cab instead of waiting for the Mesa cab. The cab seemed to choke out the gain. I now have a Mesa cab and the Recto roars now.

JohnnyCrazy said:
I had the same problem. The music store didn't have the 4x12 Mesa cab, so I got a Marshall 4x12 cab instead of waiting for the Mesa cab. The cab seemed to choke out the gain. I now have a Mesa cab and the Recto roars now.

+1. for years i had my DR run through a marshal cab and i was okay with it, but last month i got a mesa recto cab (traditional slant 4x12) and man, what a difference it made!!!

-PJ

I hope the mesa cab works for me too.
I sold my 1960AV cab and monday I'm getting a recto slant cab for my Mark IV. I hope it makes it roar een better.

Mesa cabs are rare here and I haven't been able to test a traditional cab, soi hope a recto cab will do. Those are the only mesa cabs you'll find here 2nd hand.

I'm paying €780 ($1220) for one, just berzerk...

Back