dual rec US to UK

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exitman

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a dual rec in the states and I brought in home to the UK. So I got in touch with mesa about changing over voltage from 110 to 240 and was told I would need to buy a new transformer and varistor from the UK distributers.

So I was just wondering has anybody got this done, any problems, is it easy enough to do (Ive got an engineer lined up to do it). I really just want to check it out as the amp is brand new and I dont want to blow up the amp.

Cheers

exitman said:
Hi,
I recently bought a dual rec in the states and I brought in home to the UK. So I got in touch with mesa about changing over voltage from 110 to 240 and was told I would need to buy a new transformer and varistor from the UK distributers.

So I was just wondering has anybody got this done, any problems, is it easy enough to do (Ive got an engineer lined up to do it). I really just want to check it out as the amp is brand new and I dont want to blow up the amp.

Cheers

I sold my brand new F50 to a chap in Ireland - Lead guitarist for this band (http://www.myspace.com/starturtle ). His name is Daragh. Why don't you connect with them and ask Daragh what he had to do. He was very happy with the amp.

Prior to the sale I asked Mike Taylor what a foreign buyer would need to do to use it and he said to ensure that they had a center tapped transformer.

Maplins should stock a transformer that you can just plug straight into with out messing with the amp

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358&criteria=Transformers&doy=7m5

drunkfux said:
Maplins should stock a transformer that you can just plug straight into with out messing with the amp

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358&criteria=Transformers&doy=7m5

NO stop,dont buy any sorta step down transformer from Maplin,they are...........*****

I bought one for my american dual rec,the problem is that they can only handle about 200watts max output,I dunno what a rec has to draw but my one kept blowing the little fuse in the transformer,they are only meant to be for using things like phone chargers etc not mesa boogies

I did however get a transformer made for me from this company in england called newmarket transformers,I placed my order and it was here in less than a week,the amp runs sweetly with this badboy,

It is the 2000watt one that I bought and it cost about £110 after tax and shipping,still for a complete overhaul on a dual rec to change it from american 110v to UK 230v the transformer part for the amp is about £300 plus the time for a tech to do it which will cost a bit because its a lengthy process,I f you have the spare cash to do it this way go for it,Im gonna have it done soon enough but these newmarket transformers are really great and they are built like a fricken tank!!!!

here ya go
http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/autos.asp

get one of these the Maplin ones are cheap crap,you will spend the rest of your life having to buy spare fuses for the amp from an american supplier,this is no good trust me

Newmarket transformers sound/look like the buisness
cheers for the link to them i have a mate who has one of those maplin ones but ill pass this on to him!.

This rings a bell. I'm sure that Mesa advised me that the transformer be rated at a min of 650 Watts for the F-50.

mesanomad100 said:
drunkfux said:
I bought one for my american dual rec,the problem is that they can only handle about 200watts max output,I dunno what a rec has to draw but my one kept blowing the little fuse in the transformer,they are only meant to be for using things like phone chargers etc not mesa boogies

My Recto had already been converted from US to UK when i bought it about 18 months ago and I've never had a problem with it. When i took it to be serviced, my tech said that it had been replced with a genuine boogie transformer but i dunno exectly what it means. I'm not sure exactly which transformer was changed/modded and what effect this has on the tone. If you need a number of good tech that charges fairly I've got one. Apparently he does most of the Boogie repair stuff in the North of England.

can you get Furman transformers,I always thought they only done power conditioners etc.

I will have a look into them.see if they do transformers!!!

If they do then Im sure they will be really great transformers because their power conditioners and other products are really great!

Euan

Botch

Your band sound really good,likeing the stuff.is that the dual rec in that recording?(on myspace)

would you care to share your settings it sounds really good!

not what I usually listen to but I work with a few bands who are really like you guys.keep it up man

Euan

Botch said:
If you need a number of good tech that charges fairly I've got one. Apparently he does most of the Boogie repair stuff in the North of England.

If its David Gafney ( i think thats his second name) he's a awesome bloke knows his stuff too! he was ace when i knocked my triple rec of the top of my cab (very nirvana!) whist on tour he managed to squeeze it in and have it fixed the next day. He services and repairs dillinger escape plan and cradle of filths mesas

drunkfux said:
He services and repairs dillinger escape plan and cradle of filths mesas

hahaha,my mate has just got back from being on tour with cradle of filth,he was their photographer for that tour and he was also compiling a video diary type thing,he said it was crazy!!!

loud as **** but really great guys and gals,its strange when you are sitting in a backroom of a studio where you work playing some jazz and a collegue comes in and say that your mates on tour with cradle of filth

ahhh the music industry in bliss at times!!!

drunkfux said:
Botch said:
If you need a number of good tech that charges fairly I've got one. Apparently he does most of the Boogie repair stuff in the North of England.

If its David Gafney ( i think thats his second name) he's a awesome bloke knows his stuff too! he was ace when i knocked my triple rec of the top of my cab (very nirvana!) whist on tour he managed to squeeze it in and have it fixed the next day. He services and repairs dillinger escape plan and cradle of filths mesas

hahah SNAP! yeah that's the dude that sorted mine out too. he really knows his stuff and it charges fairly too. good guy.

mesanomad100 said:
Botch

Your band sound really good,likeing the stuff.is that the dual rec in that recording?(on myspace)

would you care to share your settings it sounds really good!

not what I usually listen to but I work with a few bands who are really like you guys.keep it up man

Euan

hi thanks man. glad you like it!

we recorded that a while ago and my settings have changed since then. here's what was used:

left hand side (ME)

Stock Tokai MIJ Love Rock thru my 2 channel Dual Rec and my Marshall 1960 w/V30's

settings (if i remember rightly) were:

presence - 9:00
bass - 12:00
mids - 11:00
treble - 12:00
gain - 2:30 (or 3:00 - not sure!)
volume was at around 10:30

I used the bold setting and modern red setting on channel 2
I also used valve rectification.

I personally thought my tone lacked a bit of definition on this recording. My band recorded again the other week so some new songs with new settings shall be up in aweek or two.

oh yeah, i also used JJ high gain pre amp tubes, JJ 6L6s and GZ34s for the rectifier tubes.

chris

Botch said:
My Recto had already been converted from US to UK when i bought it about 18 months ago and I've never had a problem with it. When i took it to be serviced, my tech said that it had been replced with a genuine boogie transformer but i dunno exectly what it means. I'm not sure exactly which transformer was changed/modded and what effect this has on the tone. If you need a number of good tech that charges fairly I've got one. Apparently he does most of the Boogie repair stuff in the North of England.

Cheers for the replys so far. I should have stated that im based in Belfast, Nothern Ireland. I had thought of using a step-down but I just thought that instead of paying twice I may as well get the amp converted completly since mesa said that it was possible. Although I may well get one of the step down transformers shown in thee link for use until I can get an engineer to do it.

As far as the cost of the parts that I have been quoted from messa its £280 to buy the transformer and the mysterious varistor. I then have to get a engineer to fit it. I was really just wondering if anyone had got the amp converted only to find it didnt work etc...

Just for reference you can hear the sounds of the dual recto (the studio had one) I used in the recording studio with my band here www.myspace.com/exitonline It was this studio use that introduced me to the power and versitility of the amp.

I'm also thinking of buying a US voltage Dual rectifier pre500. I asked the spanish distributor and they quoted me about 600€ to install the 230V power supply plus all the parts it needs. (includes parts, labor and the bloody taxes!! :x )
I'm still waiting for the Portuguese distributor to give me a quote :roll:

But I've been thinking, installing the new power supply plus all the parts needed will not change the sound of the amp?

The Mesa/Boogie US tech told me that the power supply of the 3-ch, 2-ch and pre500 2ch are all the same. Does anybody know if this is correct?

Thanks

I have read somewhere,I cant remeber that a transformer was replaced in a rec which was an american voltage and the tone was different and know the guy just sells them with stepdown's,dunno how accurate that is but I have read it somewhere,Im not sure if it will,I suppose we've gotta bite the bullet and check it out,

I cant see why because the parts from mesa are the same as the ones you would find in a recto here in a guitar store,suppose they may sound different to an american one as there has been part changed

ahh well Im sure I will find out soon enough

Euan

sweet!!

Im gonna get this done next month because it is a pain in the *** to haul a 2000watt transformer about to gigs

Latest posts

Back