Dual rec....Unity GAin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Quick question....what exactly is unity gain/what does it do for you; the manual mentions it but doesnt' really elaborate too much. with the fx loop on, does the master knob have to match the knob level in the back to achieve "unity gain" and should i run the channel master lower than the fx master?

Unity gain is acheived when you adjust the loop levels so that you have little (optimally no) volume drop when switching the loop in and out.

Hope that helps! :D

Unity gain (gain of 0db, no gain, etc) means your input voltage is the same as your output voltage. Basically set your effects loop send level to 12:00, you may want to tweak then it by activating/deactivating the fx loop and then seeing if there is an increase or decrease in volume and adjust it from there. You don't want this too hot or your fx pedals will start to clip and distort.

There's a lot of variables, the manual states it as if to match the send level with that of your effects/processor! That being said, one of the variables is your effects/processor level setting! But, the Loop can be adjusted for "unity" gain without effects in the loop, by matching the levels of the channel masters to the loop's send level and the master output! Typically, your channel masters should be around 11 o'clock-1 o'clock, to get good level to the loop, fine tune with the send level (usually around noon), adjust the mix knob for amount of effected signal back, and overall volume adjusted by the master output!

jbird said:
There's a lot of variables, the manual states it as if to match the send level with that of your effects/processor! That being said, one of the variables is your effects/processor level setting! But, the Loop can be adjusted for "unity" gain without effects in the loop, by matching the levels of the channel masters to the loop's send level and the master output! Typically, your channel masters should be around 11 o'clock-1 o'clock, to get good level to the loop, fine tune with the send level (usually around noon), adjust the mix knob for amount of effected signal back, and overall volume adjusted by the master output!

+1

I have a two channel dual rec and i'm confused whether i have a mix knob. what should i do if i don't? some people were saying to keep the channel master lower and the loop master up because it sounds better ( its subjective, but i kind of like how that sounds) However, i've heard the exact opposite also. maybe i should just bypass the loop altogether!

Latest posts

Back