Dual rec settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, thought I'd post this up here since so many people helped last time I did!

I'm using a Dual Rectifier 3 channel and I can't quite get the sound I'm after. I play pretty fast heavy stuff in the vein of The Dillinger Escape Plan, Killswitch Engage, Meshuggah blah blah blah. I changed from a Marshall 1960 cab to a Mesa Traditional 4x12, which I prefer.

Channel 1 is only used in clean mode. Sounds amazing at a fairly low volume but as I turn the output up on my amp is loses it.

Channel 2 is fine, I use a horrible sound but that's deliberate.

Channel 3 is the problem. I can't seem to get it sounding as good as my mates F**ing Crate Blue Voodoo! It's just not tight enough and seems a bit... sore.

I only use a Boss Noise Supprssor at the front but I keep the effects loop on with nothing through it (I don't like bypassing it) and use the Output as more of a volume control.

I have the Output at about 11:00 when playing live etc. My settings for channel 3 are roughly as follows:

Master - 9:00
Gain - 1:30
Presence - 12:30
Bass - 1:30
Middle - 11:00
Treble - 1:00

I've tried all sorts, this is about as good as I can get it.

And I've noticed that SEND on the back controls the volume of everything, any advice on where that should be at? I've got it at about 12.

Using an LTD with EMG HZ's.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Well, your settings look pretty similar to mine, yet I have my ideal heavy metal tone coming from my amp. My (primary) set-up is a '94 Mesa Dual Rectifier ("Blackface" model) into a Mesa Recto (Traditional Sized, Straight) 4X12 Cab. I use EMG 81 equipped guitars and Monster Rock cables exclusively. It's also important to note I use JJ ECC83's in my preamp and either standard Sovtek's or GT 6L6's in the power amp. With that said, let's move on to tone...

First off, let me preface this by saying that I enjoy the tone of the 2 channel Recto's much more than the 3 channel models. I've found a few 3 channels that I've enjoyed, but overall, I'm a die-hard 2 channel user.

I would suggest using the Modern Mode, Bold Setting, and Silicon Diodes for the heavier tones you want to achieve. It will be your optimum modes for the most power and punch.

I see that you only have your volume knob set around 9 o'clock, while the output is up around 11 o'clock. It doesn't seem that you're cranking your preamp enough to get the sounds you want. I would get that volume knob up to around 10 - 11 o'clock. Another point worth mentioning...you said that you're not using the FX Loop (nor do I). If you're not using it, then why have it in your signal chain? Having extra things you don't need in there will only suck tone from you. I would bypass the FX Loop and just use the master's for your volume. It will also optimize the ratio of power between your preamp and power amp, so all you have to do is turn one knob instead of trying to mediate between the two.

From there, your settings look pretty good. I use slightly less high end in my sound, but volumes we run our amps at and pickups will make a difference there. I would suggest backing off the bass knob some, perhaps down to about 11 o'clock. More bass doesn't equal tighter bass, and this is especially true of the Recto. I'd keep the bass knob around that range...it'll provide plenty of thump without muddying things up.

Try those suggestions and let me know if it helps!

+1 on the above statement. I would eliminate the FX loop from the signal chain, then work on tone settings.

Cheers for the tips. I've pulled back the presence, bass and middle back a bit and I've gone back to bypassing the loop. I already used bold/modern, sounding mint.

Thanks again!

When using the effects loop, the channel masters become your effects send levels, the knob on the back is to fine tune that level. I would say you probably were'nt sending enough juice to the loop with the channel master at only 9 o'clock. Typically, you want your channel masters half way up (12 o'clock). Now, if you want to try something they say is for more gain, try putting the loop on with no effects, crank the send knob on the back (and remember, channel master at 12 o'clock), this apparently is like adding another gain stage via driving that pre-amp tube harder! I don't know? I opt to bypass the loop, being the tube amp purist I am :roll: , but who knows, you might like the slight difference. :idea:

I bypass the loop completely, crank the channel volume, and use an OD pedal as a clean boost. I get a pretty tight sound.

If you're wanting it to tighten it up at higher volumes, lower your bass to either 8 or 9 o'clock, run your mids up higher between 2:00 and 3:00 and do the same with your highs as you did with the mids. Then adjust the presence control to tame any harshness or to add more cut. You're using a Three channel model and the low end response is going to be much different than a 1994 model. The 1994 Rectos have a bit tighter response in the low end, yet the 3 channel models tend to be a bit boomier sounding. There are some differences.

Running the bass high sounds cool when you're playing at lower volumes, but it will bog you down at higher volumes. You will especially notice it in the mix of a band when you're competing against a drummer, bass and another guitarist.

Just some insight.

As far as using the FX Loop for your Overall Master, you're fine there. All it will add is just a smidge of compression, yet you have the ability to equal out all of your channel volumes. Keep it like that if you want to use the Solo Boost and have this ability.

Dale

Latest posts

Back