Dual Rec EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom241

Reaction score
Has anyone found that the dual rec EQ isnt quite responsive enough?
i tried out a dual rec at a music shop, and to me, i couldnt seem to either scoop the mids, or push them hard
the bass was useless on the modern channel, the treble was the only one that really worked

but yeah, i was just wondering if any users have noticed this?

no I experience the opposite. you really have to take it easy with the knobs.

wildrat666 said:
no I experience the opposite. you really have to take it easy with the knobs.

This is true and the Rectifiers tone controls are fairly different from a lot of other amps where you can just dime everything and scoop the mids for a good sound. It's very responsive, and every knob has an effect on every other one.

Also, the rectifier is voiced to have naturally scooped mids anyways, so scooping the mids in the traditional sense is a bit reduntant and likely won't result in a desirable tone.

I'd recommend reading the Controls section of the product manual to get a feel for how they operate and work in conjunction with each other: http://mesaboogie.com/manuals/3chRecto.pdf

I dont think that Ive ever fallen in love with an amp just after playing it at the store. Especially any mesa amp just because it takes so long to explore all the different voicings and nuances. I agree with MF about reading the manual cause the tone knobs on a boogie work bass-ackwards from any other amp out there including other boogies.

I have had my Dual Recto for nearly 4 months, and just recently dialed in a good tone. It just takes time like everyone else is saying. So be patient. And read the manual.

MF said:
wildrat666 said:
Also, the rectifier is voiced to have naturally scooped mids anyways, so scooping the mids in the traditional sense is a bit reduntant and likely won't result in a desirable tone.

I disagree with this statement. Rectos are very mid-heavy amps, but voiced in the lower mids. Even when I turn my mid EQ all the way down, I still have a lot of mids present.

ok, thanks guys
must have just been a dodgy amp, idn something wrong with it
cause when i turned the knobs, barely anything happened
but thanks for your input, when i get my mesa il keep that in mind :D

certain things could have effected the controls for you, first if you maxed or had the treble really high the other controls are going to have less effect, that is the way mesa stacks the tone controls.

Second if you didnt have much volume that will also effect it, the louder a mesa is the more the controls are responsive.

tom241 said:
ok, thanks guys
must have just been a dodgy amp, idn something wrong with it
cause when i turned the knobs, barely anything happened
but thanks for your input, when i get my mesa il keep that in mind :D

mikey383 said:
MF said:
wildrat666 said:

I disagree with this statement. Rectos are very mid-heavy amps, but voiced in the lower mids. Even when I turn my mid EQ all the way down, I still have a lot of mids present.

I'm going to second that, it's been my experience as well. An EQ pedal does wonders to sculpt your sound.
I also have a 95'ish Dual. Possibly different revisions with subtle voicing differences? I recently played a newer three channel, and honestly, it felt like a totally different amp to me.

Very informative (new dual rect. owner here). Where do you put the EQ pedal in the signal chain. I used to always use a distortion pedal with the Orange I sold so I'd put the EQ pedal right after the distortion pedal. Should I put the EQ first in the effects loop since I almost only use the gain on the amp now (no distortion pedals)? Just wondering what you guys do.

oh PS. How would you suggest using the EQ pedal (I have Boss 7 band), use the pedal as the main EQ and if so how would you set the knobs on the amp. I know ... I'm a noob.

Jacko123 said:
Very informative (new dual rect. owner here). Where do you put the EQ pedal in the signal chain. I used to always use a distortion pedal with the Orange I sold so I'd put the EQ pedal right after the distortion pedal. Should I put the EQ first in the effects loop since I almost only use the gain on the amp now (no distortion pedals)? Just wondering what you guys do.

Jacko123 said:
oh PS. How would you suggest using the EQ pedal (I have Boss 7 band), use the pedal as the main EQ and if so how would you set the knobs on the amp. I know ... I'm a noob.

Jacko123 said:

The EQ can be used three ways:
1. To alter or pre-shape the guitar/p'ups. The EQ would be first in the chain, right after the guitar.
2. To be used to tweak a busy pedalboard, and to boost the front end of the amp. The EQ would be the last thing before the input to the amp. This would also be the same as #1 if the EQ is your only pedal.
3. To be used as post-distortion EQ, or to tweak the preamp tone/Loop effects before they hit the power section. The EQ would be last in the FX Loop. This will be the final tone shaping tool for the amp.

If you want to put it in the loop, dial in the best tone with the amp's controls first (bypass the loop), then switch in the loop, set your output to the same level as when bypassed, and start tweaking the EQ from flat, or all sliders at ZERO. Go easy, small changes can really make a big difference, especially in the lower freq's.

The Dual Recto has a Parallel Loop, so you will want to set it to FULL WET or as high as the return knob will go (90%). Start with the send at 12:00 - 2:00, being careful not to overload and clip the EQ.

Have fun.

Dom

you are right about the treble control being more responsive

the treble control governs how well the rest of the eq works

the higher you turn up the treble control the less responsive it makes the mid and bass knobs so if it above 1:00 you will experience an unresponsive eq.

I had my solo50 for almost a year and I just now seem to have figured out how to dial it.

To me it seems like the recto has too much of everything: too much gain, too much bass, too much mids, too much treble.
so its very easy to over do it on any one of these controls and the amp will sound **** so trying one out at the store for a few minutes is not really going to tell you much about that amp at all.

If you can Id recommend finding someone that has used a recto for a long time and have them dial it in for you when you try it out.

Latest posts

Back