Dual Rec Bias Measurement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausman

Reaction score
Do stock Dual recs have 1 ohm 1 watt resistors installed between cathode and ground for bias measurement?

mrkrausman said:
Do stock Dual recs have 1 ohm 1 watt resistors installed between cathode and ground for bias measurement?

NO they don't. They have a fixed bias so you have to buy tubes that work within the bias of the amp!

YellowJacket said:
mrkrausman said:

NO they don't. They have a fixed bias so you have to buy tubes that work within the bias of the amp!

yes a fixed 'non adjustable' bias. But I'm not quite ready to let it go at that. i have read that these amps are set up with a cold bias current for headroom. Some say and i realize this is controversial that a bias pot in the right hands can be beneficial. 1 ohm 1 watt resistors at pins 1-8 to ground would allow for easier bias current reading. I am curious as to what that reading might be. It seems to me there is a window here to improve tone by adjusting the bias a little hotter. Just thinking.

mrkrausman said:
It seems to me there is a window here to improve tone by adjusting the bias a little hotter. Just thinking.

Exactly. See the Bias Pot Install thread at the top of this section by the awesome Mikey383. I did the Bias mod and
it did worlds for my 3 Channel Recto. Warmed it up and rounded it out for sure. Plus, you can put any kind of tubes
you want in it (if so inclined).

mrkrausman said:
yes a fixed 'non adjustable' bias. But I'm not quite ready to let it go at that. i have read that these amps are set up with a cold bias current for headroom. Some say and i realize this is controversial that a bias pot in the right hands can be beneficial. 1 ohm 1 watt resistors at pins 1-8 to ground would allow for easier bias current reading. I am curious as to what that reading might be. It seems to me there is a window here to improve tone by adjusting the bias a little hotter. Just thinking.

You are correct about biasing them hotter. They are set up very cold from the factory, and having a bias pot installed does wonders for them. They can run very hot for a long time without component failures too....don't ask me how I know :oops:

They do not come with 1 ohm resistors since they are non-adjustable fixed bias amps, though it would be very simple to install them, and the prime time to do it would be when you're in there installing the bias pot. I bought them to install in mine, but changed my mind and bought a bias probe instead.

BTW, Fluff....someone needs to tell my wife that I'm awesome. She's just not convinced yet. :lol:

Latest posts

Back