Dual Rec 3 Channel (Rectifier Tube Question)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escalates77

Reaction score
Hey guys, how's it goin?

I once again have another question for you all.
In my Dual Rectifier 3 Channel, i have 4 JJ's for the power tubes section in my amp. But then for the rectifier tubes, i have 2 5U4GB Mesa tubes. I've been using the silicone diodes mode, so the rectifier tubes don't matter. But anyways, my question is....is there going to be a problem at all if i switch to the tube setting? Because there is 2 different kinds of tubes in the amp. I don't think it would be much of a problem, but i could be wrong? Any suggestions?

Haha alright cool. Simple straight answer, i like that. The reason why i asked was because last time i swapped out the rectifier tubes, and turned on the amp, it would blow the fuse. I just hope that it doesn't do it when i switch it to the tube setting. By the way, which settings do you think would be the best for getting a good screamo/hardcore/indie sound out of my amp? The bold or spongy setting? The silicone diodes or tube setting?

So, your fuse blows with new rectifier tubes in diode mode?

The only current flowing through the rectifiers is 5V's for the heaters to keep them warm. Unless there was an internal short in the heater supply of the rectifier tube it should not blow the fuse. The tube is probably bad.
In my dealing with a few dozen Recto's, I always put the amp in standby before I switch from Bold, Spongy or Tube Rectifiers. For some reason they do not like to be quickly transitioned and can pop fuses and circuit breakers. Even a new RK II blows my circuit breaker in standby if I switch from bold to spongy.

If you switch to Tube rectifiers for the first time, keep an eye on the tubes.
If they are good, you should have no problem. If they are bad, they will glow hot red after a few minutes or even have a Jacob's Ladder effect where you see voltage shooting around in the tube immediately after you turn the amp off standby. If your quick enough, you might save the fuse.

Good luck.

Back