Dual or Single

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrizzleFry

Reaction score
Well I'm in the market for a new amp (been really diggin the rectifiers lately) soon prob when the summer hits cause im away at school right now and itd be pointless now to get one
Anyways I'll prob be moslty playing in my bedroom but who knows i may even start playing in a band again down the road....Would the dual be overkill for bedroom levels? And for the single, if i ever started playing again in a band would 50 watts be plenty loud enough.
One last thing if i were to get a single would having a 4x12 help to give it more headroom for the clean channel?

Any comments would be appreciated

I own and play a Single Recto through a 4x12 Standard recto cab. There is a pic of it in the above post. Let me just say that 50 watts....is PLEANTY loud! I play gigs on a regular basis and I am the only guitarist in my band. We have been told many time that we are one of the loudest and fullest sounding 3 piece bands around. Now weather thats true or not is open for debate but the fact remains when I tell people that are not well versed in such things that my amp is only 50 watts....most are surprised.
Now there are benifits and downsides to having only 50 watts on tap. A smidge less headroom, and in the case of the single, 1 less channel than the Dual...as well as the lack of tube rectification. But those are things I can live without. It has nice cleans, KILLER distortion ...same as the dual or the triple...but again its one of those things that only YOUR ears will decide for you. Lets put it this way: I would never trade my Single for a dual if I ever wanted more headroom or a 3rd channel. Rather I'd buy another amp. I love this thing. More than long enough for being in a band on any stage...and if the room is too big for a single...then there would be a P.A. in which case 25 watts would even suffice. ;)
Besides...everyone knows that the 50 watts amps are the best kept secret in rock. It even says so in the Mesa Boogie catalogue.
If you wanna hear a single in action, goto www.myspace.com/humbility there are songs, videos and pics there of my band.
Enjoy
Hum

The single alone will be too loud for your bedroom. For playing at home without blasting away he neighbors you might want to look into getting a Hotplate. Having a 4x12 Cab over a 2x12 cab will not help your clean channel. Basically a 4x12 will percieve to be loud since you are moving more air with the extra 2 speakers. The 100watt dual will give you more clean headroom if you play at high volumes.

thanks for the replies, i figured it would smarter move to get the single and I really dont care about a third channel since I've always used two channels anyways. As far as a 4x12 and 2x12 idk ever since I started playing in a band I craved to play in front of a 4x12, they are so bad ***. The amp I had been playing before was this 1x12 marshall valvestate 65watt amp (idk how I ever gigged with that thing, I feel so bad for those audiences) it was cool in the begining when I was first learning to play but years later now I think I owe it to myself to own a real tube amp. So maybe a 2x12 would be better but then again it can never hurt to have 2 more speakers haha

I'm using just using the 1 speaker on the closed back side of my RK 2x12 Cab. I have to control my volume a little more, cuz everyone complains I'm too loud. I partly blame this on the fact that I like to cook the tubes and run my output at 11-12:00 with my hotplate @-4db(doesn't change the tone at all). Plus I always mic it anyway.

Latest posts

Back