Dual Calibers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regret

Reaction score
First post. Great to see a Mesa forum now that I own one.

Bought my DC-5 head and 2x12 horizontal Recto cab, both with gold (black&tan) grilles about 2 months ago and it is the best amp I/ve owned to date.

Better clean than my Marshall and that Mesa distortion. Truly versatile with the eq and good reverb.

Cuts through so much but differently than a Marshall, and my co-guitarists ss Marshall gets drowned out when my amps is on 2 (his 100w ss head on 6-7).

Anybody else appreciate the dual calibers?

I saw a guitarist with a DC-5 head playing live a couple months ago ....he usually plays through a JCM800, so the Boogie was his backup...,. He's switched back to the Marshall, but I still think that boogie sounded better. I almost bought a DC-5 combo with a roadcase when I was in college. It was used but in mint condition and they only wanted $500 for it. Too bad I was poor back then.....it was a steal.

It's okay....i got my Mark IV now :D

The DC-5 is an awesome amp. I bought mine last summer and I love that amp. It can do anything from clean to mean, all around great amp. I paid $550 for my combo and this was the best bang for the buck for an amp. I don't understand why people pay 500 for something that has 1/2 the options and tone that the DC-5 has. I always recommend the DC-5 to people wanting tube tone for a good price, it always gets overlooked.

My first post here. I love my DC-3 combo. I've gone through many boutique amps searching for the "holy grail". I've always come back to my boogie. I'm thinking about trying the new Lonestar special. :D

Shawn Lutz said:
The DC-5 is an awesome amp. I bought mine last summer and I love that amp. It can do anything from clean to mean, all around great amp. I paid $550 for my combo and this was the best bang for the buck for an amp. I don't understand why people pay 500 for something that has 1/2 the options and tone that the DC-5 has. I always recommend the DC-5 to people wanting tube tone for a good price, it always gets overlooked.

I oughta save up and buy a dc5 or dc3 combo as backup for my Mark IV and for smaller gigs/open mics.......A rackmount head and a 2X12 can get pretty heavy,cumbersome, ......and yeah.....loud as balls.

**** I like the DC-5 more every time I play through it. The honeymoon is far from over.

Last band practice it had my co-giutarist constantly tweaking his Marshall.
He would listen to the DC right in front of the cab (lead channel-which I thought sounded kick *** that night) then he would listen to himself then he would tweak his amp. DC has a much more balanced tone than the MGs.

The clean is very inspiring too. With a neck p/u it is really nice.
I also like turning the gain, treb, and mids up a little on clean for a clean that is clean when picked lightly and crunchy when digging in.

That **** eq makes it so versatile, I love it.

Please continue with Dual Caliber discussions. Thank You

The DC series where always tone boats. They sound excellent for recording as well, always did... Evey studio I've ever been in has had a DC in their arsenal, great lead tone. I almost bought a DC10 2-12 combo on ebay, just as an additional amp, instead of always carrying around my mark III with the 2 thieles. The DC 10 sold for $600, but I let it go because it is a heavy *******... A DC5 would be just fine for me...
Great amps!
ax. :twisted:

I've got 2 pre-DC's...if there is such a thing! A 22cal+ and a new-to-me 50cal+ :wink:

Commentary,

It would be nice to have ONE Boogie website that had a good flow of traffic, until then, I'll post-***** on both sites!

I think were doing pretty good here considering this is week #2.

Other than loudness how does the sound of the 22 differ from the 50cal?

Ned

After going through several Studio 22s (basic black, yummy hardwood...)

Now running a DC-3. Got a really sweet deal with the fake tan croc "leather" (hideously overpriced as an option, BTW, for embossed bonded leather. Look up "bonded leather" and you'll see that it's to leather what chipboard is to birch plywood!) EQ too. Perfect shape with cover and everything (I think it even has the original tags...)

Anyway, even at a rating of 30 watts it still screams like a banshee. With the nod from a Mesa tech, I pulled two of the EL84s and brought the gain to where I can actually run the master up to 10 and get some output stage tone-contribution without too much "neighborly discomfort!"

I really love the tone from Mesa's EL-84 amps. Chimey clean tones, groaning, velvety, liquid high-gain tones. Just a great all-around amp.

Which two tubes did the tech tell you to pull out. left two? Right two? Outside two? I also have the DC-3 and was wondering about this. How much quieter is it that you can then crank the gain?

Can someone describe the kind of gain that is possible with a DC? Compared to a Mark IV for instance.

Thanks.

Dave

TrekFX said:
Anyway, even at a rating of 30 watts it still screams like a banshee. With the nod from a Mesa tech, I pulled two of the EL84s and brought the gain to where I can actually run the master up to 10 and get some output stage tone-contribution without too much "neighborly discomfort!"

I would like more info about this too, please!

I also love EL84 amps.I can't believe how loud a 30 watt Mesa can be.I never turn the master past 2 and I would like to know which 2 tubes to pull out to lower the power.Also can you pull the reverb tube out in a Mesa DC-3. I dont use reverb and I always take the reverb tank and the reverb tubes out in all my Fender amps. Thanks for your help in advance.Also this is my first post.

Why are DC amps listed in the vintage (before 91)category?I bought mine in 96 and I have a 95 catalog listing them.

When pulling a pair of power tubes....

I pulled the outside pair (ie, far right and far left.)

Don't know about pulling the reverb tube. Give them a call!

Latest posts

Back