Dropping the Triple rec to a Dual ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdylan

Reaction score
I have read elsehwere it is possible to take 2 tubes out to drop the power and in the manual it mentions it for a dual but no mention of a triple.

Can this be done for a Triple rec ? and what exactly has to be done so I don't damage anything ?

I quit my band and am only using this at home now and it is way too loud I can not play it once the kids go to bed what so ever even flicking the switches and what not I am hoping maybe this will be my answer.

Thanks again

I'm not sure about the Triples, but on a Dual you'd pull either the two outer or two inner tubes, pull a Rectifier tube, change the speaker out (ohm rating), and be running at 50 watts. Even if you do this, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference as to allowing you to play at home. Does'nt the Pod XT Live have a headphone output? Just use that for home practice!

I think jBird is right. You need to take out a pair of tubes (make sure it is the matched pair, check your owners manual) and pull a rectifier tube. It shouldn't matter which rectifier tube. I've never heard of pulling tubes or changing wattages having an affect on speakers or ohm ratings however.

You might even be able to make it a 50 watt head by pulling two pairs of power tubes and two rectifier tubes. Don't quote me on that though.

On the other forum I asked on a guy said:

you take out the two outer tubes

Leave the Rectifier tubes alone ( I use the Silicon Diode setting anyways)

and run the 4ohm out to a 8 ohm cab or 8 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab

Does this sound right to you guys ? I don't doubt what he is saying because he has owned several Mesa amps duals and Triples.

I just want to be sure have either of you guys tried this ?

I quit my band so just using the POD XTL I have no use for the Mesa then except for the occasional jam and I will sell it I am hoping to find a happy medium where I can still use it.

I am thinking of getting a Hotplate or something similar but can not afford that any time soon.

Thanks again

Dylan

What the guy on the other forum sais is correct. But I still don't think it will make enough of a difference to allow you to play while the kids are sleeping! Even dropping down to 50 watts won't allow that! But still, I'd keep the amp for the fact that you never know if another band opportunity might arrise. You can still use it while everyones out of the house, then use the Pod when the kids are sleeping, thats what I do!

What the other guy said at the other forum is correct for a Dual Rectifier, but not a Triple Rectifier. When you pull 2 power tubes and a Rectifier tube from a Triple Recto, you have to take away 1/3 of the amp's impendence instead of 1/2 like the Dual. So, your 16 ohm out becomes 10.66 ohms, your 8 ohm out/s becomes 5.3333 ohms and your 4 ohm out/s becomes 2.6666 ohms.

If you pull 4 power tubes and two Rectifier tubes, your 16 ohm out becomes 5.3333 ohms, the 8 ohm out/s becomes 2.66666 ohms and the 4 ohm out/s become 1.3333 ohms.

That will correct everything, yet at the same time you're not putting any extra stress on the Output Transformer because it will actually see less current. Also, your Power Transformer will be less stressed as well.

One thing to take into consideration is that these amplifiers have the bias voltage set where the cathode current is extremely low. If you take away two power tubes or 4 power tubes, you might not have to correct the impendence depending on what the plate voltage is and the effect of the extra strain on the tubes. I wouldn't advise doing this unless you're able to get the plate voltage readings in all of the different modes and the cathode current (bias) readings in all of the different modes in order to see if this will be safe or not.

Lastly, the tone will darken up some. This may have been covered already.

Dale

Something funny that I completely overlooked that the same guy mentioned is keeping the master volume at the level I like it at but using the FX controls on the back to regulate the volume.

**** if it didn't work too haha it is still not 100% but is alot better and much more usable at lower volumes.

Using the POD XTLive as a pre amp also works and I get decent results from that as well. I was thinking of selling my Triple but but since finding these options I don't think I will be after all.

Thanks,
Dylan

Okay, let's see...

To convert the Tremoverb to 50-watt:
1. You take out the two outer tubes.
2. Leave the Rectifier tubes alone.
3. Run the 4ohm out to a 8 ohm cab, or 8 ohm out to a 16 ohm cab.

My innards:
1. I run a 2x6L6/2xEL34L power section, with GZ34s as the rectifiers
2. It is biased to EL34 and Vacuum Tube Rectifier
(3. Bold and Spongy power can toggled at will of course.)

I'm interested in the conversion to save myself tubes. Speaking with Bob of Eurotubes, he said it didn't matter what order I had the power tubes in when I applied them. Electrically, I assume, this would be fine since I'm running my amp at the default design of full-power. Therefore, what issue?

But at half-power the order truly does apply?

OK... Here's what the Manual says (if you haven't bothered to read it) on page 14 of the three channel manual and page 9 on the two channel manual.

NOTE: On the Dual Solo Head it is possible to run two 6L6 or EL34 tubes pulling the two center tubes, leaving far left and far right
tubes intact. This procedure reduces the power by approximately 50%. Remove one of the Rectifier tubes if you are using the TUBE
RECTIFIER
setting to assure a correct match.

Dual Only has this capability.

Guitarzan said:
OK... Here's what the Manual says (if you haven't bothered to read it) on page 14 of the three channel manual and page 9 on the two channel manual.

NOTE: On the Dual Solo Head it is possible to run two 6L6 or EL34 tubes pulling the two center tubes, leaving far left and far right
tubes intact. This procedure reduces the power by approximately 50%. Remove one of the Rectifier tubes if you are using the TUBE
RECTIFIER
setting to assure a correct match.

Dual Only has this capability.

How than I must runing the cabs?
4ohm out to 8 ohm Cab?

Heha, fireonhigh.

And there's no mention of dropping wattage like this in the Dual Rec Tremoverb manual, Guitarzan. I imagine it's the same, therefore it should have been included.

Listen, they should'nt even have put that recommendation in any of the manuals, it's just there because you can! It does'nt allow you to magically play in your bedroom with a cranked tone, nor does it turn your Dual Into a true 50 watter!

Latest posts

Back