DR/TR vs. B-52 AT-100 100W Tube Guitar Amp with Tri Mode Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm

Reaction score
I've heard that they are good but haven't tried one myself. Of course you'd have to be expecting some biased opinions being on the Mesa board ;) Nothing wrong with loyalty though!

Ciao ...

I tried the b52 at100 combo before I purchased my boogie. I almost purchased it because it did sound really nice. For the money I think its a great deal. I decided not to get it because of a few problems with it.
I cant remember them all right now but the biggest prob I remember was the problem with the amp overheating. If you look at the back of the amp there is hardly enough circulation. I read about people saying the front plate with the knobs would get so hot that after a while of playing, it was uncomfortable to touch the knobs.
I actually called b52 to ask about this problem though and they informed me that they had solved that problem by adding a fan. They gave me serial numbers to look for,,,everything after a certain # would have the fan in it otherwise if you purchase the amp and it has no fan you can call them and they would be happy to send the fan kit out to you. That kind of turned me off a bit,,,no biggy I guess.
The only other thing I remember I didnt care for,and remember this is my opinion at the time,,never owned a tube amp before,,it seemed like a bit of overkill for me with all the tubes it came with,,4 6l6's,1 rectifier,and I believe 6 12ax7's. And the amp had to be rebiased for tube changes unlike mesa boogies. Most of you probably wouldnt care about that but it seemed like a lot of mantainance, especially for a noob with tube amps.
Anyways for the $700 they want for one I thought the sound was killer,,I didnt get to try it at high volumes though.

I looked at the b52's also before settling on my solo 50 (ebay).
I was dissuaded from it by someones opinion that the b52 sounded "like a swarm of angry bee's".

You get what you pay for I suppose...yada yada yada.... :roll:

Back