Downsizing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieman75

Reaction score
I am looking to downsize my practice/small club blues band gigs. I am thinking maybe an 1x12 express 5:50. How responsive is it to strats?

I love the tone from my 3ch dual rec head vintage mode orange w/ el34 running into the heartbreaker's v30 and scumback m75 but it is way too much gear to lug around and quite frankly LOUD!

or is it feasible to get a 1x12 cab and still utilize the dual rec?

The reason I use it this way is kind of a funny story actually...I was using the heartbreaker 2x12 combo and brought the head along as a backup. One night I decided to put el34's in the DR and connected to the 2x12speakers on the HB, and I was floored with the results with my humbucker equipped hamer. Plus I was never really satisfied with the dirt tone I was getting from my strats through the HB...good but not great. Clean tone is immaculate through the HB!!

I have a blues junior but it needs some work atm
Pod through tech 21 sound engine....yeah right.

you can hear my lead head/combo rig at www.myspace.com/bluescastersdbq

***** recording from a camcorder but the tone is there in the background

1st clip is with my 99 american strat stock
2nd clip is with hamer with 500t
3rd clip is the mid 60's pro reverb
4th clip is with my 99 american strat stock

the lead on the other guitar is a vintage pro reverb with a RAT driving the front...guess which is which :p

Happy Monday all!

Those little express amps really kick. I'm going to buy the 5:50 head to use in the studio for all my leads. I play in a hard rock band but I love the bluesy tones the express produces.

I use 1x12 cabs (ev loaded thiele and open back) with my dual rectifier (also loaded with el34's) and love how they sound, definitely great for smaller gigs/practice. I also use a rocktron 1x12 velocity cab when I really need to quiet the beast down.

If you liked your tone with the 2x12 don't expect to get the same with a 1x12, even more if the 2x12 has a mix of speakers.
The most logical step would be to get a 2x12 cab with the same speakers, you'll get your tone and the weight will be bearable providing you get a relatively light cab. Downside is you have no backup anymore

A 1x12 is no less loud than a 2x12 but rather more direct, you feel the one speaker has to work more than in a 2x12. I find 2x12 tone, more relaxed, sort of slightly laid back, a 1x12 brings listening fatigue earlier.

Orange Tiny Terror :wink:
If I had an extra 500 bucks, I wouldn't even think and just buy one. Friggin awesome sound.

honestly? that Fender Blues junior you have (with a mic) is a choice of many with strats.

Latest posts

Back