Dougs tubes / Mesa / Eurotubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
This is for my 2:100. I had planned on retubing the whole thing from the beginning since it's used.

However I want to stay on the safe side. I don't care about hot rod sound. The thing sounds fine as it is with the mesa tubes. But @ $42 a pair I'm looking at over $200 with the preamp tubes and 8 6L6's

So my question is, what do I need if I'm ordering 6L6's? I know nothing about tubes, I just want reliability first and foremost and not to overtax this unit or whatever you want to call it. Basically I have no interest other than the thing working. My interest is in making music, not electronics.

I just don't know if I'm being an idiot by going with someone else other than Mesa. Dougs is considerably cheaper and now I hear of eurotubes. Anybody have any advice? Will these other guys sell me a set of tubes just as good as mesa? Any particular brand I should go for or stay away from?

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

I vote Doug's myself. I have bought a good number of tubes from him and I can't say enough good things about them. Free shipping on orders over $95. Mesa's are just relabeled from other brands and I can't comment on Eurotubes as I haven't ordered from them.

I vote for Doug's also. Eurotubes exclusively sell JJ tubes. Everything is JJ. Now, some people like JJ's, but I didn't like the sound of the tube set from Eurotubes. Suddenly my amp sounded kinda harsh. I remedied this by ordering a combo from Doug's, and the amp sounded better than ever.

I'm in the process of getting my Stategy 500 retubed, and Doug's was about $100 cheaper than Eurotubes. I can't say who's tubes are better, I've never bought from Eurotubes and this is my first time buying from Doug's tubes. I can say, that Doug has answered all my emails and stupid questions quickly.

That's cool. I though Bob from Euro was nice. He answered all my dumb questions. It just seemed to me that Doug gave me more short answers, but if he's more reasonably priced and people are having good luck with him, I'm sold. I'm looking at about $250 between my recto preamp and 2:100.

What do you think about this configuration / price? This is to retube my mesa 2:100 and my recto recording preamp.

Seller A.
A full retube for the 2/100 with a matched octet of the JJ 6L6GC's and three ECC83S's matched and balanced for the phase splitter's would run 161.50 or a full retube with an octet of the JJ E34L's and the same preamp tubes would run 137.50 For the style you play I would recommend the 6L6GC’s.

Six standard ECC83S's for the Recto Recording Pre would run 51.00 or four of the graded high gain ECC83S's and two standard ECC83S’s would be 71.00 and we can ship and insure all the tubes by Priority mail for 14.50

or from the other place. I don't want to mention who is who though as I don't want to sound like a dick.

Seller B.
I say do it all! The power amp should have an octet of RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's($140) and 3 x JJ ECC83S($27)

Now for the preamp, here's what I recommend--
V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7
V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS
$70.50

insurance $4.60

Grand total $215.10

I don't want to overdo this equipment if that's possible or run it hot. I have no clue about tubes as stated. It sounds awesome as it is but figure since it's used equipment I might as well make it as new as I can.

You can save a lot of money by skipping the pre-amp Re-tube. You only need to change your preamp tubes if they are making weird noises or if a channel is not working, I have an old 1983 Hi-Watt with the same preamp tubes, Although I do have a couple of spares if one goes down.

Doug is a great guy and I would feel very comfortable recommending him

Hope it helps
Trace

fishyfishfish said:
You can save a lot of money by skipping the pre-amp Re-tube. You only need to change your preamp tubes if they are making weird noises or if a channel is not working, I have an old 1983 Hi-Watt with the same preamp tubes, Although I do have a couple of spares if one goes down.

Well I'd like to put some tubes in it to give it a little more gain if possible. What do you think?

fishyfishfish said:

Well I'd like to put some tubes in it to give it a little more gain if possible. What do you think?

If you are talking about the 2:100 power amp, you could get a high gain 12AX7 tube and that would drive the power section a little harder, but not much. Your pre amp section of your rig is what's making the distortion, the power section is just taking what it gets and making it much louder. Personally I like my power amps to be as clean as possible, with the exception of power tube distortion, but with the 2:100, that would be at stadium volumes.
You could replace one side at a time, sparing you a little pain of doing it all at once, and as far as vendors, give Doug a call and get a price. Good luck!

Yeah I realize that the distortion comes from the preamp. I'm just wondering if different grades of tubes would give me some more gain.

Kevin

If your power amp is giving you gain kiss any sort of proper cleans goodbye.

Power sections shouldnt be giving 'gain' they should be providing balls to your tone.

Hey unconventional, Ive ordered from both of these places numerous times as stated above. Ive gotten to the point where im tired of trying different tubes for a relatively small change in sound. Dont get me wrong here,, im not by any means saying most or all tubes are the same. Ive got a ton of current production and NOS preamp tubes and they are really subtle in their differences. In some amps I notice a bigger difference in sound than others.
Now if you want to keep it relatively cheap obviously stick with new production preamp tubes. You mention that you are looking for a little more gain,, then you can ask for the high gain option. I will tell you what Eurotubes told me,, I asked for the High gain ecc83's.. they asked me if I ever run my amps gain at full out max?? They wound up telling me the difference between the high gain and regular tubes is,, imagine having your gain cranked 100%. Having the high gain tubes would
allow you to go to 11. Believe me you wont notice that much difference if any at all. Ive got both and really cant notice too much difference.
On the other hand I would spend the extra buck or two and just get all high gains.
I would highly suggest getting some tung-sol 12ax7's, most seem to like them. You will notice when ordering from Dougs tubes that he seems to cover a wide spectrum with all the suggested preamp tubes. I think he does this so you have the option to swap them around and find what you like,,, imagine him telling you that you should get 6 of the same tube and you wind up not liking them.. But then again ive ordered from him a bunch of times and find he knows what hes doing.
For power tubes I would just read through this forum and get some ideas of what people like,, then go with it. Your not going to get a much different sound out of the power tubes because most likely your not playing clean and pushing them into natural distortion, your mostly hearing your preamp.
Keep it simple and get back to playing,,, if you decide to go with JJ power tubes then I would order from Eurotubes and also pick up some of their high gain ecc83s. Then call doug and tell him you want some tung-sol 12ax7's. OR,,, buy everything from doug because he has it all.

That's what I sort of figured. When I had a 2:90. I tried different tubes. I couldn't notice **** of a difference.

I've never swapped preamp tubes, so I don't know if there's a noticable difference. Probably not.

My thing is that I bought all of this equip used. I'd love to retube it all and get it sort of back to a new state.

Kevin

dmt said:
what about the tube store?

Great place to get tubes. If you call them you will find that they are just as good as Eurotubes or Doug's Tubes.

Latest posts

Back