Does the Mark V really deliver?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Azrehan said:
I have seen the 'on' switch but there was no mention of an 'off' switch.

Is it located inside the chassis?
I think the trick to turning it off is to start pulling out tubes.

Bro KV said:
So how was the show. I haven't seen LOG since Gigantour.

I went to the Metallica show just for Lamb of God, they were ok, the crowd was pretty dead and they only played 7 songs, but it was not a bad show. I saw them on their Wrath tour a few months back and they delivered an amazing show, well worth the ticket price. I have seen them 4 or 5 times now and the stage production keeps getting better, which is really nice.

rectokiller said:
i know im swinging off topic here if you find the down tone(im thinkin its living somewhere in channel 2?) please share the wealth.

I built a tone from Underneath Everything on the NOLA album with my M-77. It isn't as tight as the studio version, of course but A/B on my PC says its pretty damned close (maybe a bit more low end due to the ZW pickups).

Channel 2 - Mark 1 (Thick toggle) - 45 Watt
Variac Power and Rectifier toggle to Tube (that little switch under the reverb dial on the back) and Reverb at 10 or 11
Gain - 11
Master - 10
Presence - 12:30
Treble - 12
Mid - 12
Bass - 9:30

EQ is on, pretty much found my happy spot for today. Basically the V, with the first and last sliders just under the top line, and middle slider just above the bottom line and the 2/4 just on or a bit above the middle line.

There is no eloquent way to write this stuff is there.

I am a bit shy to upload .wav files but, maybe when I get a few doing different things I will.

danyeo1 said:
Iconoclysm said:
danyeo1 said:
Yes it delivers. Each one comes packed with it's own fleshlight.

And if one was looking for good tone, I'd do the opposite of whatever Mike Morton says.

Hmm, Mark Morton has some very good metal tone...

I respectfully disagree. I don't like anything about LOG.

Which kind of shows a bias towards Mark Morton's tone...which is actually very good.

danyeo1 said:
MarkIVwidebody said:
although Death Magnetic does have some good tunes finally

Yes the songs are decent on Death Magnetic, but the solos sound like your average 12 year old at Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon. It's amazing that Kirk has gotten worse over the years when considering he plays in a band for a living.

Considering the solos are mostly off the cuff, they aren't too bad. Definitely not as bad as you're making them out to be...just like Mark Morton's tone! I see a trend.

If you think the Death Magnetic solos ain't that bad, then i don't know what to tell you. I think anyone with a few years of playing time could do as good or better than that slop. Whatever floats your boat though.

danyeo1 said:
If you think the Death Magnetic solos ain't that bad, then i don't know what to tell you. I think anyone with a few years of playing time could do as good or better than that slop. Whatever floats your boat though.

They really aren't that bad "considering they are off the cuff". Like I said. I don't think anyone with a few years of playing time could do as well at improvising solos like he did on that album.

Then again, I listen to guitarists in the vein of David Gilmour and have a deep respect for improvisation...and I certainly frown upon overworked guitar techniques. If a solo doesn't show signs of a "struggle" then it's dead to me.

I have no idea what you wankers are talking about. I just want to know if the Mark 5 can do metal. And if it can, is it true bypass? I don;t want this amp mucking up the tone of my Keeley Metal Zone pedal.

Iconoclysm said:
danyeo1 said:

They really aren't that bad "considering they are off the cuff". Like I said. I don't think anyone with a few years of playing time could do as well at improvising solos like he did on that album.

Then again, I listen to guitarists in the vein of David Gilmour and have a deep respect for improvisation...and I certainly frown upon overworked guitar techniques. If a solo doesn't show signs of a "struggle" then it's dead to me.

So i guess you'll love this solo then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjvajNHPewY#t=3m48s

They do suck a$$ poor fellas. At least they're filthy rich and can all turn actors or something. Sorry Metalllica fans but I could never understand the hype about that band rather than hype around Nirvana.

Uncle Muscles said:
I have no idea what you wankers are talking about. I just want to know if the Mark 5 can do metal. And if it can, is it true bypass? I don;t want this amp mucking up the tone of my Keeley Metal Zone pedal.

Yes it can do metal. I play a lot of Megadeth, Lamb of God and Nevermore and have been happy with the tone I have got from it (although it is still a building process, since the tone I want isn't quite there yet). I guess it depends what you want to do with it, what bands or guitarists tones are you trying to reference?

Personally I haven't put an OD or Distortion in front of the amp yet because there are to many other things to try going direct. I have been spending a lot of time in Channel 2 building a good stoner/doom tone. Next will be Channel 1 for a clean tone.

danyeo1 said:
Iconoclysm said:
danyeo1 said:

I like the little "smoke break" he takes in between his awesome hammer on techniques. I thought he was going to snort some Geritol. Joe Satriani must be proud of his prize student. Does anyone have the tab for this?

danyeo1 said:
Iconoclysm said:
danyeo1 said:

Kirk absolutely blows live. Doesn't help that he's playing songs on this tour that he's rarely ever played live - and I've always wondered why he doesn't seem to have practiced them.

I like the little "smoke break" he takes in between his awesome hammer on techniques. I thought he was going to snort some Geritol. Joe Satriani must be proud of his prize student. Does anyone have the tab for this?

Yes, it's bad...

Otherwise, the guy is 45 years old...you've got to be a teenager to consider that old.

Geiri said:
They do suck a$$ poor fellas. At least they're filthy rich and can all turn actors or something. Sorry Metalllica fans but I could never understand the hype about that band rather than hype around Nirvana.

Yeah, a band that turned a genre on its end more than once and paved the way for many, many, many bands including Nirvana doesn't deserve any hype, eh? You don't have to apologize to me for a lack of taste and inability to recognize accomplishment.

Dudes c'mon

there is no need to get pissed off at people who don't share your opinion regarding your favorites. This exactly what makes the world such a colourful place. Difference of opinion.

I get bashed regularly for my adoration for malmsteen but it's all good.

I'm not going into a debate about how Metallica did this or that, they are just not my cup of tea. And I mean this from the bottom of my heart I don't mean to offend anybody but to me, well I think they are rather boring.

Geiri said:
I'm not going into a debate about how Metallica did this or that, they are just not my cup of tea. And I mean this from the bottom of my heart I don't mean to offend anybody but to me, well I think they are rather boring.

I can rip on Metallica all day long. Then again, I am a Mustaine / Megadeth fan, seems like that's all we do =)

Latest posts

Back