Does Mark III have to warm up before it sounds its best?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
Whenever I start playing, it feels like the attacks are slightly brittle for the first five minutes. After five minutes, everything seems to sound smoother. I was wondering if I'm just imagining this, or if it's a well known fact. I thought to myself "Maybe I'm just getting used to it," but if that's the case, I don't feel confident about using this sound on stage. I want to believe that it's just the amp warming up. Is this suppose to happen?

I am turning it on properly. I turn power on, wait 30 seconds, then turn it on from standbye.

Hmmm, well I bought it on ebay, and I put in the tubes that were sent with the amp. I don't know if they were new tubes or not. This was about 5 months ago.

Although it really does not answer your question, you may want to change the tubes anyway since this is the center of the universe as far as maintenance this way you’re not playing guessing games, about your current problem, how much life is left and so on. Also since you bought the amp used although it may sound great you never heard it with fresh tubes it my really sound allot better. My friend learned this once when he bought an amp used played it for months and liked it I threw him a new set of power tubes and it gave the amp the kick in the a** it needed
As far as the “standby thing” 30 seconds is the book. Playing in my house I don’t care but playing out or recording I like to let them cook on standby for longer than that usually soon as I can power the amp I’m comfortable with 5 mins or better. Because depending on the amp I can hear the difference also.

Hmmm, I see. Would you have any tube suggestions? I prefer a smooth sound that minimizes the high end fizz (presence set to zero).

fome said:
Hmmm, I see. Would you have any tube suggestions? I prefer a smooth sound that minimizes the high end fizz (presence set to zero).
I’m the wrong person to ask this question for although I have played Mark III’s (and love them BTW) I don’t own one. I have a Mark IV myself a lot of people on this forum use JJ’s and like to work with these people http://eurotubes.com/ this page will probably interest you https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=6

Myself I have never tried them I have just used Mesa Boogies however in my power section I am using (2) EL34’s STR-425 & (2) 6L6’s STR-420 works well for me but I also have a set of (4) 6L6’s STR-420 all Boogie tubes, I keep on hand (like having two amps really)
Soooo I suggest you put out a thread for all the Mark III owners and see what they think.
What they play, manufacture of tubes they like, what company they like are far as (matching tubes who they trust)

Back