Does everyone set their channel 1 for 100W?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thirstypirate said:
jjboogie said:
So far it has always been set to 100Watts! I need all the headroom I can get!

I also left mine at 100w for the longest time but lately I've been getting a ton of great tones using the 50 and 10 settings.

For a lot of my tours the LSC is backlined so it is not mine personally. Most times it is a large venue so I need the most headroom possible since it is high volume situations. I need my tone to be not crystal clean but clean but with a little gain to smooth it out a bit.

One thing I hate is that Roland JC120 clean tone......it is just WAY too clean for me and drives me nuts.

I have a LSS at home and use for local gigs when I am not on tour.......I will try out the lower Wattage settings next rehearsal and see how it feels.

plan-x, I know you're a Barber addict; I think I'm rapidly becoming one. I really like the LTD I just got my hands on (just the basic one). How does the DD compare to the LTD? From the demos I've seen, it seems like it's pretty similar in terms of color (or lack thereof), just with more gain. Can it do the low-gain thing well?

I literally pulled the LTD out of its box, set the knobs at 12:00, plugged it in, and have pretty much kept it right there since. It sounds great with my LSC at that setting, both as a low-gain/rhythm boost for Ch1 AND as a kick-in screaming lead booster for Ch2. It sounds totally natural with the Lone Star, going into either channel. It's like I have a 4-channel amp now.

I also plugged it into my JCM800, and with the same setting got the best transparent boost for that amp I've yet found. I use the high input on the amp with the gain at about 8:30, just an edge to work with; engaging the LTD sounds just like I've turned the gain knob on the amp back up to noon. Frickin' rocks, and adds no color.

My OCD can't do all that, as much as I like it. I probably have not spent as much time buying and trying pedals as some, but I'm really happy with that LTD. Maury, I think you were actually the one who sparked my curiosity about it a while back...

Anyway, so now I have a nice tight chain that looks like this:

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe > Supa-Trem > Mini Deja-Vibe >
Barber Tone Press > LTD >
tuner > LSC

The Tone Press is set up with Output @ 3:00, Blend and Sustain @ 9:00, and this adds a very nice natural-feeling clean boost with just a hair of compression.

Anyway... I'm liking the Barber thing. :)

This place is turning into a baber forum! Ha ha. Btw, there is one. Check it
http://www.tpngear.com/forum/index.php?s=179ef877a1dd6ce71c2a593d832a37ef&showforum=8

Anyways, The Direct Drive (DD)sounds similar to the LTD and can do the low gain thing well also. They do have different chips and the DD is voiced slightly different with more gain on tap. The differences are subtle though and it's apparent that they were designed by the same guy. I perfer it that way. Having pedals that are so different from each other, from different manufactures didn't work for me. And that's what the LSC's original ch 1 & ch 2 seemed liked, a mismatch. Barber pedals have these things in common:
1. Transparent
2. Similiar voicing amongst the line
3. Added EQ adjustments to further match amp & guitar to original tone.
4. A smooth distortion quality that's "amp like" and musical.

jjboogie said:
For a lot of my tours the LSC is backlined so it is not mine personally. Most times it is a large venue so I need the most headroom possible since it is high volume situations. I need my tone to be not crystal clean but clean but with a little gain to smooth it out a bit.

One thing I hate is that Roland JC120 clean tone......it is just WAY too clean for me and drives me nuts.

I have a LSS at home and use for local gigs when I am not on tour.......I will try out the lower Wattage settings next rehearsal and see how it feels.

:) I don't do too many large venues (well the garage I'm playing in now could probably hold 3 cars)... ha ha. I'm actually in the beginnings of the first band I've been able to have since joining the military. I'll be on dry land a lot the next few years and have met some good and creative musicians through the Navy.

Our amplification requirements might be different but this amp seems to do everything. Do you use an LSC combo on tour or a head and cab? Arrested Development was the first CD I had when I got a CD player for Christmas as a kid. I must have listened to that record a thousand times.

thirstypirate said:
:) I don't do too many large venues (well the garage I'm playing in now could probably hold 3 cars)... ha ha. I'm actually in the beginnings of the first band I've been able to have since joining the military. I'll be on dry land a lot the next few years and have met some good and creative musicians through the Navy.

Our amplification requirements might be different but this amp seems to do everything. Do you use an LSC combo on tour or a head and cab? Arrested Development was the first CD I had when I got a CD player for Christmas as a kid. I must have listened to that record a thousand times.

I use the combo. Sometimes I will run two combos in stereo for arenas and outdoor festivals! That is always cool.

Yeah I used to listen to that CD a lot too! I am not an original member but was a fan as well.

Two of our current members were in the Navy actually. Our bassist Za and our rapper 1 luv.

jjboogie said:
I use the combo. Sometimes I will run two combos in stereo for arenas and outdoor festivals! That is always cool.

Yeah I used to listen to that CD a lot too! I am not an original member but was a fan as well.

Two of our current members were in the Navy actually. Our bassist Za and our rapper 1 luv.

Did they meet in the Navy or is it just a coincidence?

Regarding the alternative of plugging your 8 ohm speaker into a 4 ohm jack, I guess it should be more or less the same to use 100W with the 8 ohm jack or to use 50W with the 4 ohm jack.
Maybe, the difference is (more) noticeable when you use 100W and the 4 ohm jack.
regards

Latest posts

Back