Does anybody know how to get better Reverb from a Rectoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 Mesa amps now, a Mark IV head, a DC-2 combo, and a Rectoverb combo.

The DC's Reverb is so lush and thick, while the Reverb on the Rectoverb is crappy and thin sounding. The decay is too fast and focused.

Does anybody here have a mod that will loosen up the Reverb on the Rectoverb? I really love the amp, but Reverb is more important to me than the killer distortion this thing puts out. I would hate to sell it just because the Reverb is too thin.

You would think that an amp called the "Rectoverb" would have killer Reverb.

Hey Monsta-Tone!
I hate to tell you this but you're right. The reverb in the ROV is just not all that good. I don't "think" there are any mods that will make it any better. One of the most common complaints from guys that own(ed) it is about the thin reverb. I owned one for 7 months. (sold it for other reasons) Reverb is just not one of this amps strong points. If reverb is real important to you, why did you buy an ROV? Didn't you check it out before you bought it?

If any one can do a mod and give you that "lush" verb you're looking for it would be Trace @ Voodoo Amps, Ithica NY. voodooamps.com. Send him an e-mail, he'll answer your question.

Good luck!

Bob

I did try it out first, and thought the Reverb was thin sounding immediately. I bought it from a friend and he let me crank it for a couple of hours in his studio before buying it.

I thought the Reverb was tube driven, but it is solid state. If it were tube, I would have already modified it myself.

What a bummer, I like most of the other features, but the Reverb for Cleans is a must for the tone I'm looking for.

My DC-2 will get just as heavy sounding and the Reverb is incredible.

I'm seriously thinking about selling the Rectoverb and buying a DC-5 or DC-10 with the Graphic EQ.

A friend of mine wants to trade his MINT condition 50th aniv US Strat Deluxe for the Rectoverb. I need another guitar like I need another amp, but I could sell the guitar more easily since I live in Hawaii and shipping an amp is murderous. Plus, the 50th Deluxes are nice. I have the sunburst one and it is my 2nd favorite guitar. My favorite is my 2001 US Strat Deluxe with ash body in transparent teal color, that's a nice guitar. I don't even play my PRS anymore since I got the teal Strat.

I talked to Trace a long time ago about modding my Dual Rectifier, but again, shipping just the chassis back & forth would have cost more than the mods.

Hawaii! (****) My wife keeps hounding me to take her there.

Sorry about your amp woes. To tell you the truth I had the ROV head w/ 2x12 closed back bottom. To this day I still ask myself "what were you thinking?" The high gain was outstanding, the clean was not for me. (wasn't clean enough always muddy) I wasn't real happy with the reverb either. Traded it in for the Lonestar Classic. Cleans & reverb up the ying-yang.

Sorry about your amp and your situation. I understand your disappointment. Good luck with what ever you do. (swap, trade or sell)
At least you have (lots of) great gear to hold you over til you get this situation gets resolved. (I wasn't so lucky)

Take care!

Bob

Hi,
Question, does the "F series" amps suffer the same thin reverb. If yes! then It's the solid state ccts or reverb tanks or both. If the answer is no! them its the circuit in the Rectoverb. The depth of reverb can usually be increased by making the cap feeding the reverb driver larger in this case try making the 500pF coupling cap 1000pF( add another 500pF across it). If that is too much thendrop down to the next value. If you want more reverb output then the resistor off pin one of the recovery IC(47k) could be lowered, say to half the value. These suggestions have not been tested out. If in doubt get an experienced tech to carry out the changes while you play yer gat, this helps to keep the trial and error time down.
John G

Hey man, this may not be agood suggestion, but have you thought about a G-Major. I had one with my Solo-50 and it sounded great. I now have a IV Combo and continue to use it for Reverb and slight Delay. My .02.

JA

I've actually been using the G-Major for a while now with my Mark IV.

It sounds so good that I don't want to unplug it.

I really need a 50-watt combo that has great tone & Reverb to just be able to take it anywhere.

I'm half-way tempted just to turn my Soldano Lucky 13 head into a combo. It doesn't have a Loop, or Solo boost, but man does it have some Fendery tone on the Clean channel. I hot-rodded the Lead channel, so now it's like a Dual Rectifier/SLO-1000 with a Fender Twin Reverb strapped to the side.

Well,

I traded the Rectoverb for a MINT condition 50th Anniversary Fender Strat Deluxe in Black with the Gold Pickgaurd, SCN pickups & "V" Neck.

At 1st I thought I would just sell the neck and get a "C" shaped Deluxe neck, but I kind of like it. I played it next to my 50th Aniv with "C" Neck for about 2 hours last night and I can't make up my mind which one I like more.

The "V" Neck is great for chords, the "C" Neck is great for leads.

So much gear, so little time.

Now I just need to find a DC-3 or DC-5 to replace the Rectoverb with.

Latest posts

Back