Does Anybody Else Own a Parker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't recommend doing such an extensive mod to your guitar just to use stock seymour duncan pickups. What I would recommend is getting some stock parker pickups from ebay and then send them to Seymour Duncan to be made into whatever pickups you want. That way you won't mod your guitar in such a way that you won't be able to return it to stock.
I also heard some horror stories of very disappointed customers of Mr Roman. Make sure you do all of your research before sending your guitar off to anyone.

Greg

This would really depend on what model of Hamer you are selling. I have played and owned a bunch of Parkers and they are great guitars, but Hamer makes a guitar called a Duotone and the Duotone will smack a Parker around all day long. The Piezo on the Duotone is a much better sounding pickup and I found the Hamer to be a much better sounding electric instrument. Just some food for thought. $800 for the Parker is a great deal, but some of the older Duotones are in that range as well and I happen to think the Hamer design is better.

huge-01.jpg

the Duotone will smack a Parker around all day long.

I don't know if this is true because i have never played one but everyone is different. But i do know that the parker is probably one of the best guitars for versatilaty plus i have not found a guitar with a more shred friendly neck :D

I don't know if this is true because i have never played one but everyone is different. But i do know that the parker is probably one of the best guitars for versatilaty plus i have not found a guitar with a more shred friendly neck

Obviously, this is my own opinion. But my opinion is based on having owned *both* instruments. Remember that Hamer USA and Ovation share the same workspace. The electronics in the Duotone are the top of the line Ovation electronics. Ovation pioneered the stuff, so they know what they are doing. Hamer USA is a tiny shop and their work is on par with the best in the business. A new Duotone will probably cost *less* than a similar Parker.

Here is a much better pic of a custom ordered Duotone.

SkeltShadow.jpg

Hamer is a tiny shop - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Not anymore. Guess who quietly bought them about a month ago? (At least according to what I read in a guitar magazine from the UK).

I have owned many, many Hamers (I still have 3). I just want something different.

Hamer is a tiny shop - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Not anymore. Guess who quietly bought them about a month ago? (At least according to what I read in a guitar magazine from the UK).

I am well aware of the Fender purchase. However, that doesn't change the fact that Jol and company are still doing business as usual. They are still a tiny shop and the company that bought them is actually *smaller* than the company that previously owned them. Hamer has been owned by the Kaman corp for years. The music division of Kaman is probably smaller than Fender, but the corporation itself is much larger.

BTW You did know that Parker is now owned by Washburn, right?

I am not hating on Parkers, they are great. But for what they do, I would actually put them third behind the Hamer Duotone, and the Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci with a Piezo option. EBMM did a spectacular job on that piezo unit, it sounds stellar.

Please, let's not forget Tom Anderson. Some (if not all) of their models can be had with piezo electronics. I am not interested in the Parker just because of the piezo. Like I said, I want something different (shape, feel, etc.).

I'm a big Hamer fan - like I said, I own 3 currently. I just want to broaden my options, which is why I bought the PRS McCarty a few months back. I think Hamers are one of the most under-rated guitars out there. Their resale is very, very low, which is a shame. That may change if Fender supports them financially and actuallys increases their adverstising/endorsement budget.

I think you can expect some changes because of this buyout - look at Tacoma - Fender bought them, and their offerings have changed drastically (and not for the better).

ya i feel you. parkers are much different than the hamer. What the parker has that neither the ernie ball of hamer has is its awesome trem system.

Not hating on either but i found what i was looking for in the parker.
plus putting duncans in it makes a huge difference.

Andersons are good but i feel that they are a little to vintage for me.

Fender bought the company that distributes Hamer. Hamer's shop will be staying the same.

As for Hamer and Ovation sharing the same shop space. Not true. The Hamer area and the Ovation fabrication facility are not in the same workspace.

I use Tom Anderson guitars exclusively these days....Tom doesnt have any Piezo bridges at the moment. He was using a custom Fishman setup which is now unavailable. Until he finds a system that he is happy with Tom has discontinued the Piezo option on all instruments except for one. To get a piezo TA you will need to go with a Crowdster.

As for Hamer and Ovation sharing the same shop space. Not true. The Hamer area and the Ovation fabrication facility are not in the same workspace.

Ummmm I've been there, it is the same building. It isn't like they are down the street, they aren't...it is the same building and they share it. When we took the tour of the facility everything was right there for us we didn't have to travel anywhere. I think you are splitting hairs here, but they are definitely in the same space.

Rest assured, I ended up not getting it. The guy sold it for $900. Which I'm guessing is still a pretty good deal.

I had first dibs on it, but the fact that I would be stuck with the pickups it came with or having to pull them out and have them re-wound turned me off.

I think you made a wise choice. One day if one comes at you for a steal then I wouldn't talk you out getting it just to try but only go for it if everything is right.

The nitefly plays as well as a Fly but is heavier and a bolt on guitar it's a much better design IMO because of the electronics and the knob layout. You can replace with the stock pickups with whatever you want. I don't think you will be floored by anything parker except for the playability because you already have nice guitars.

Greg

Rest assured, I ended up not getting it. The guy sold it for $900. Which I'm guessing is still a pretty good deal.

I had first dibs on it, but the fact that I would be stuck with the pickups it came with or having to pull them out and have them re-wound turned me off.

Bummer. Sorry it didn't work out. $800 would have been a killer price for that guitar

Oh, the story doesn't end there my friends. I just bought another guitar - Fender Custom Shop '56 NOS Strat. It's being delivered as we speak and it should arrive sometime mid next week. I know it's not a Parker, but I wanted something different than what I already have - I guess this fits the bill.

Yes, I am a gear hound!

Back