Does a rectifier tube get worn when on diode rec. mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pureanalog

Reaction score
Is the tube still on and getting used up if your amp is on diode rectifier mode? WIll it still need a replacement?

Under normal usage how long will a rectifier tube last?

pureanalog said:
Is the tube still on and getting used up if your amp is on diode rectifier mode? WIll it still need a replacement?

Under normal usage how long will a rectifier tube last?
If you are using the silicon diode rectifiers then the only thing in the rectifier tubes being "used up" are the heaters, which are designed to outlast the tube. In this senerio the rectifier tubes should last the life of the amp.

Even when using the tube rectifier, unless you are running the ch masters & output on "10" all the time they should last many, many years at resonable stage volume levels.

Dom

i read somewhere that you can run the amp with out any rectifier tubes,just make sure its ALWAYS on silicon diodes,any info on that??

Old rectifiers lasted a very long time. The Mullard GZ34 in my Vibrolux Reverb had been in the amp a long time back when I bought the amp in 1990 or so.

fireonhigh said:
i read somewhere that you can run the amp with out any rectifier tubes,just make sure its ALWAYS on silicon diodes,any info on that??

That is correct. But, IMO it is not really necessary to do so unless you are troubleshooting or have a bad Rectifier Tube, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. The Mesa branded 5U4GB is a rugged tube and really should last the life of the amplifier.

YMMV

Dom

Back