Do you like the reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
It seems like a good spring reverb, but I'm not a huge fan of spring reverb and am not the best judge. I like that it's footswitchable, but I'm sticking with my TC Electronic Nova Reverb instead. How about you?

I don't usually like spring reverb, but the Mark V has a pretty nice sounding one! It sounds just as good as the reverb on the Roadster I used to have IMO. So, yea, I use it and dig it. Mostly on clean stuff though.

i hate it as much as i hate the reverb on the lonestar.. by the time you turn it up enough to where it is audible when you're actually playing, it sustains for like 4 seconds.. i much prefer fender reverb

I tried many times but I decided that or I don't like spring reverb or this one is a bit strange. It's almost like a tremolo/reverb I can hear some modulation if that is the normal spring behavior then I prefer digital verb :shock:

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one because I think the MARK V reverb sounds great.

It sounds nice with the cleans.

I switch over to Ch2 when doing the leads and there is no reverb bleed when I switch back to Ch3.

Lets say its ajusted perfecty on clean FAT Ch 1 and you change to tweed you have to crank up the reverb (at the back) to compensate the loss of reverb. Even cranked to max in tweed you don't get that much of it out. With a pedal in the loop its more predictable and uniform.

shogun said:
i hate it as much as i hate the reverb on the lonestar.. by the time you turn it up enough to where it is audible when you're actually playing, it sustains for like 4 seconds.. i much prefer fender reverb

You can replace the tank with an identical one, but with a shorter decay. I think most Mesas use a medium decay, but i'll have to double check the part number on the tank and then go to Accutronics site and decode the numbers. I wouldn't mind a shorter decay either...

MusicManJP6 said:
shogun said:

You can replace the tank with an identical one, but with a shorter decay. I think most Mesas use a medium decay, but i'll have to double check the part number on the tank and then go to Accutronics site and decode the numbers. I wouldn't mind a shorter decay either...

WHAT!?!?!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I NEED THIS! TELL ME MOAR!

shogun said:
MusicManJP6 said:
shogun said:

WHAT!?!?!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I NEED THIS! TELL ME MOAR!

2 things: sound enhancements (accutronics' mfr) was recently sold to belton. shouldn't be a problem getting stuff, but just in case, go through your music dealer channels.

another is that as long as the reverb transformer impedances matches the reverb circuit (and is even available), you should be fine ordering a reverb tank. the part code fo the mesa mark iv and v tank is 9AB2A1B. here's the description of the code for the accutronics tanks:
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/Type9.htm

you're pretty much constrained to the type 9 tanks cause that's the sizing of the cutout. so what you wanna do is see if you can get a different 4th digit, which is the decay time, i.e. 1 for you since you want short. so you can find something like a 9AB1A1B. i don't know if it's even an available part. contact them and see. hopefully you know what i'm saying.

I love it for what it does, warm analog reverb. It's a little thicker and not transparent like digital. It sounds great with an analog memory man in the FX Loop. For the room I play in I don't often use reverb though, it's it's huge with hardwood floors and hardly any furniture.

I like the reverb for cleans and also use a TC Electronic Nova Reverb all channels for all kinds of tones from small blues club sounds to concert hall. The nova is great in the loop.

I would say the reverb on my V is "decent". It's capable of a good amount, and even at noon on all the channels I get plenty. On my clean channel, it develops a very bassy hum if I have it at 11:00 or noon so I have to be a little weary of turning it up. That's something that may even go away with a tube swap.

As far as the quality I'd say it's "pretty good". But so many other things I love about the amp, that the reverb doesn't have to blow me out of the water.

I have it very low on channel 2 and 3 (8:30 to 9:00), I don't like to use much reverb on crunch and distortion, I use channel 1 on the fat mode and it sounds good there (11:00ish), it sounds like an amp reverb. If I was going to record it I would go dry and put the reverb on an aux send but for live playing I want my amp to sound like an amplifier and this is the kind of reverbs they use on amps, call me old fashioned but I like that sound for live.

I have a TC Electronic Nova system in the effects loop, and I never use the reverb on it anymore. I might if there was a song that had a special need for a particular type of tone, but then again maybe not... I'm just playing rock, I'm not trying to change the world!!

I like the reverb but like others have said, I use it mostly in Channel 1. I have toyed around with it in Channel 2 with some lead sounds but, never with any serious gain Ch 2 or 3.

However, I am not much of a reverb guy, only using it to lightly colour clean passages I have occasionally.

mejoshee said:
2 things: sound enhancements (accutronics' mfr) was recently sold to belton. shouldn't be a problem getting stuff, but just in case, go through your music dealer channels.

another is that as long as the reverb transformer impedances matches the reverb circuit (and is even available), you should be fine ordering a reverb tank. the part code fo the mesa mark iv and v tank is 9AB2A1B. here's the description of the code for the accutronics tanks:
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/Type9.htm

you're pretty much constrained to the type 9 tanks cause that's the sizing of the cutout. so what you wanna do is see if you can get a different 4th digit, which is the decay time, i.e. 1 for you since you want short. so you can find something like a 9AB1A1B. i don't know if it's even an available part. contact them and see. hopefully you know what i'm saying.

Good job on the info with the part numbers! I didn't know that about accutronics getting sold...

I think the reverb sounds fine. I use it lightly, just to give a little space to the sound.

I was just noticing the other day that I had to turn my reverb knobs down. I am no reverb expert but maybe the springs have to break in or loosen, stretch or something? I know an old Fender will make a horrible noise if you move it because the springs are rattling around inside the tank. My MV makes no noise when I move it which means tighter springs so it could be that, over time, the reverb will "loosen" up? Anyone know if this is true?

litesnsirens said:
I have a TC Electronic Nova system in the effects loop, and I never use the reverb on it anymore. I might if there was a song that had a special need for a particular type of tone, but then again maybe not... I'm just playing rock, I'm not trying to change the world!!

I'm aiming to get a Nova System with my tax refunds. I may PM you with some questions!

Feel free I love the unit... I use it a little differently now that I have the Mark V. I used to use it in front because I used to use the OD/Distortion. Now I have it in the loop, still love it.

Latest posts

Back