Do you find your boogies pedal unfriendly?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrozepelim

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Boogie Caliber 50+, and I find very hard to find a good OD or Distortion pedal that suits this amp, and when I find one it is very dificult to find the right settings.

I recently got a MI Audio Crunch Box (and it is the 1st version without the presence control) and with the clean channel if my presence control is above 3 the pedal sounds awful, even with the tone control around 10 o'clock.

I've got the 6L6 version, with JJ's in the pre and in the power section. I've been thinking about replace them with EL84 YellowJackets from THD, but I'm afraid of loosing the great clean tone and that it becomes even more mid pronouced.

Should I put a Celestion V30 ou perhaps better yet a Greenback?

Do you find the same with your boogies or is just me?

I have a DC-10 head and run a Barber Direct Drive in front of it. I couldn't be happier with it. It works great as a light crunch on my clean channel and with the same settings gives my lead channel a nice kick in the ***. With this combo I have all my bases covered.

I had the same issue with my Mark I. I have both an MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe and Tube Zone and ended up just cutting the brightness control significantly and it now approaches what the pedal sounds like through my fender. Luckily these pedals have this control.

man, that's wierd, cause all of the Mesa amps that i had/have, the one that best accept pedals is exactly the Cal+50 . . . :shock:

i use a Barber DD and get wonderfull results (altough the Mi's are really good also . . .)

Back