Do these look new(er) to you?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supergenius365

Reaction score
mesainside002.jpg

I bought this MKIIC+ used and have no idea of what maintenance,if any, has ever been done. I have read that filter caps should be replaced every 10 years or so, but I am not sure what to look for.

I AM NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING MYSELF. I JUST WANT TO HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT I AM LOOKING AT

Are the blue things the filter caps? They look fairly new to me. Any thoughts?

What are the silver things? They look pretty old. Do they need to be replaced?

Thanks

The blue ones are filter caps. They are from the 47th Week of 1983. The big silver are the main power supply filter caps and are original as well.
The two miniature silver ones are your bias supply caps. Again, original.
I have three, all with the original caps. If you want to change them, be your guest. If you don't, then don't. If it's not loose, humming and can run for an hour or two, they should be fine.

Not personally. If the amp has been used it's better for the caps. If it has been dormant, 24 years may be the ticket to a cap job. I keep a full replacment set for when the time is right.

From what I do know, it has been a heavily gigged amp from the day it was purchased in 1984.

There is some crackling and some occasional whooshing sounds which have made me wonder if some maintenance is needed.

Latest posts

Back