Do I really need another mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMz

Reaction score
The tittle says it all.
I own a MKIIb Imbuya combo with matching ext. cabinet and an early mkIV combo (which I converted to a head) and I use it with either a 2x12 road king cab or a 4X12 rector standard cab.

I sold my lonestar and T-O-V because they didn't see any playing time and I always prefer the mk series tone. Since I still got some of that money I was considering getting a mkIII or gather some more $$ and get a MkIIC+. I really don't gig as much as I like and when I do I always go with the MkIV and on occasion the mkIIB.

I'd love to put this money into a new toy but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Why not. Those amps would be the ones to go for next. It's not like you would be repeating anything you already have. They all have their own unique voice going on. Go for it.

Depends on the tones you are after and/ or the touch sensitivity of an amp.
All Mark series have a similar tone to them. Not quite the same but similar.
MkIII's are much more affordable than a C+.
A C+ is about two to three times more expensive than a MkIII (depending on options).
A C+ is much more touch sensitive has a dynamic response to how you play unlike any MKIII or MKIV I have played.
If you aren't set on a Mesa but love the Mark series tones a Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb, Super, or Twin might be a good choice too.
Similar sound in many ways but have a looser feel to them.

I did ask the same question some time ago to a buddy I have at boogie and he told me to go for a mkIII. He states that there is not much difference between the MkIII and MKIIc+ as the MkIII was the evolution of the IIC+. And on top it is clearly is more affordable. But since I have never heard any of the two, for me it is hard to tell. I'm sure there may be a lot of arguments why a IIC+ is better than a MkIII or maybe the other way around as well.

*need* is sorta relative, but if you're going to collect amps, you could definitely do worse than buying a Mark...

JAMz said:
I did ask the same question some time ago to a buddy I have at boogie and he told me to go for a mkIII. He states that there is not much difference between the MkIII and MKIIc+ as the MkIII was the evolution of the IIC+. And on top it is clearly is more affordable. But since I have never heard any of the two, for me it is hard to tell. I'm sure there may be a lot of arguments why a IIC+ is better than a MkIII or maybe the other way around as well.
There are no arguments.
Either an amp is for you or it's not.
Only way to find out is to play through each one and decide.
If you're not Jonesn' for one of these amps maybe the best thing to do is to save your money for something you really want.

Ok, It is decided........I don't need another mark,.....but I'm getting one anyway :D

It is a MkIII blue stripe simul-class combo w/ rev. and EQ. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

JAMz said:
Ok, It is decided........I don't need another mark,.....but I'm getting one anyway :D

It is a MkIII blue stripe simul-class combo w/ rev. and EQ. I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

that's the spirit!

JAMz said:

you have THAT much "disposable" income??? :lol:

Good choice. It will be a nice addition to your other Marks . I have a IIC, IVA, V, and a III blue stripe, and the III sounds similar in its voicing, but is also different sounding than the other Marks too , so you won't find its tone redundent. The III's are great amps. The R2 volume mod is a worthwhile, and I'd also suggest you try keeping the Presence low which will get rid of most of the nasty "hi-end fuzz" I run my Presence around 2-3max.

Hey folks;

I went and pick it up about two hours ago. Oh boy, I'm so glad I did. The thing is awesome. The clean is huge!!!!! R2 is ballsy and lead,....well, you know.....the most pleasure you can have with your clothes on.

It is in beautiful condition and has just been check up by the best amp tech around. It deserves a good set of tubes, since the one installed are crappy. What tubes are you guys using? Mesas, JJs, EHs, Sovteks?

JAMz said:
What tubes are you guys using? Mesas, JJs, EHs, Sovteks?

Sweet, man...glad you're really diggin' the III!

Both of my IIIs at the moment are:
For 12AX7s (all new production)..I'm using Tungsol (V1),EH(V2),EH Goldpins(V3),EH(V4) and Sovtek LPS(V5). I keep moving them around a bit ( except Tungsol stays in V1), but this is current that I'm loving.

For the power tubes...love the Winged =C=s 6L6 and EL34s. They really make the amp sound huge.

I have a batch of NOS tubes lying around, but I'm keeping them aside. I'm really diggin' the new production set alot, though!

For the power tubes...love the Winged =C=s 6L6 and EL34s. They really make the amp sound huge.

I'm with Nep. I use a mix of Svetlana's 6L6 and EL34's. I'm usually not a fan of the 6L6/EL34 in Mark series amps, but really like this combination in my Mark III.

Hi Calos,

I don't think it is possible with the MKiib. I might be wrong, but I think that is a feature exclusive to simul-class models only.

Back