do i need a volume pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsmith3685

Reaction score
at the moment im using a volume in the fx loop of my road king but im seriously thinking of ditching the volume pedal. i think by doing this i would get a better tone and have more headroom aswell.i hav a gt6 in the other fx loop which i use for delay,chorus,phaser and occasionally wah.could anybody who uses ther amp like this ie just with an effects processor in the fx loop and with no volume peda
l plz tell me how they set up their amps and where they set the master volumes on each channel.

Volume pedals and wah pedals should be run directly into the input of the amp, not in the fx loop.

I used to have a volume pedal on my pedal board, but whenever I found myself going for a reduced volume/gain sound in the middle of a song, I would just use the volume on the guitar.

I found that the volume pedal was always getting bumped so there were times I wasn't getting a full signal from my guitar going through my amp, so I ditched it.

G.I.G. said:
Volume pedals and wah pedals should be run directly into the input of the amp, not in the fx loop.

Disagree completely. It depends on what you want it to accomplish.

Putting it in front of the preamp will reduce or increase your input gain.
Putting it in the loop will control the signal before it hits the poweramp.

If you want it to truly and solely control your volume, put it in the loop.
If you want it to increase volume AND gain AND slightly alter tone, put in in front of the preamp.

I'll agree with strumminsix on the volume pedal thing... I ran mine (on my Tremoverb) in the FX loop for a volume control without affecting the tone. I know there are people that use it in front of the amp for a "swell" effect and in country bands that way where backed off is clean and full open in a bit of drive.

I think they can be used both ways, it just depends on what you want you're wanting.

I probably should have clarified a little better.

Generally people run coloring fx (delay, chorus, reverb, etc.) through the fx loop while running on/off type signals (wah, volume pedals) through the input. That's not to say that you can't run a volume pedal or a wah through the fx loop, but in order to get the full effect, you generally need to go through the input unless you have a series loop being run at full.

A volume pedal in the fx loop will only cut the fx signal (in a parallel loop) depeding on your mix, not cut the signal completely, so you loose the on/off of the volume pedal. If you wanted to just use it to cut some of the fx signal, it will work perfectly fine in the loop...same goes with a wah.

It's definitely personal taste, but that's what I've found has worked better, especially in the case of wah pedals.

G.I.G. said:
A volume pedal in the fx loop will only cut the fx signal (in a parallel loop) depeding on your mix, not cut the signal completely, so you loose the on/off of the volume pedal. If you wanted to just use it to cut some of the fx signal, it will work perfectly fine in the loop...same goes with a wah.
I'm in agreement with this statement on the issue!

i like using the volume pedal solely because when im singing i dont need to look down to start fiddling with knobs on my guitar-i can just use my foot and carry on playing. 8)

Okay, I can see both sides a bit clearer now, thanks GIG.

But lets look a new dimension (with semantics) .......
If you put it in front, you control the input gain or drive.
But is you put it in the FX loop, you control the level to the poweramp.

Looking at it that way, it appears that the only place a "volume" pedal could be would be after the preamp since anything after the guitar would be a drive to the preamp.

8)

Back