DO I need a 2x12 or a 4x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

styphon

Reaction score
Just bought a Road king II head, wondering if I should get a road king 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

I play a lot a home, but I also jam with friends. We haven't gigged yet, but I am hoping we can get to the point of playing small bars/clubs. So what do you think?

In my experience, a 2x12 works just fine for any gig you throw at it. A 4x12 isn't really louder, it just has different frequency response and dispersion characteristics. For any large gigs, you're going to be mic'ed anyway, so you'll only really need one speaker.

A 2x12 won't look as cool onstage, but you can easily put it in the back seat of most cars, and they don't weigh 100+ lbs.

I had a DR and 4x12 for gigs and what not. I have since moved to a Single and 2x12 and LOVE it. I can drive the Single harder and the cab is less to move around. Yes it does not have the stage presents but the sound certainly does!!!

I'm not the normal DR user and abuser. I use a DR with a 4X12 oversized for practice mostly and gigs. I don't gig often because I hate caring the cab around but when I do the 4X12 cuts better than a knife through any mix I have been in!!!! I find the 50 watt single rec does not have the presence or kick of a full 100 watt DR. I read about this in guitar world as well and it looks like their people agree on 100 watt amps as well.

It all depends on the music you play! I play nu-metal with tunings down at B standard and the 100 watts helps with the crunch and palm mutes big time. Look at Kataklysm's guitarist. Last time I saw them he was playing on TWO FULL Randall stacks. Four 4X12's. Talk about wanting the guitar to cut through!!! It's because he play's most of his music in B standard too. Hope this helps ya.

NWOFORLIF

SydMark11 said:
I had a DR and 4x12 for gigs and what not. I have since moved to a Single and 2x12 and LOVE it. I can drive the Single harder and the cab is less to move around. Yes it does not have the stage presents but the sound certainly does!!!

nwoforlif said:
Look at Kataklysm's guitarist. Last time I saw them he was playing on TWO FULL Randall stacks. Four 4X12's. Talk about wanting the guitar to cut through!!! It's because he play's most of his music in B standard too.
I think cutting is more about EQ and less about how many cabs you have. I think that guy just wanted to look cool. 8)

Ive used both thru the years, a 4x12 is going to cut way more than a 2x12. More is More. I also run sound a good bit, I ussually will leave a 2x12 pointing forward, but I almost always turn the 4x12 inward.

i have a 2x12 recto, and tried a 4x12 mesa with my amp but i don't know if it was recto or traditional. However the 4x12 was a lot brighter with the same eq settings and it was also louder. Probably by 6db which wouldn't be twice as loud but louder.

in the case of 50W vs 100W and the brightness issue. They both AFAIK use the same OT so i think it's something to do with transformer being duller with 50W. My nomad the same way in 50W mode it's duller.

I would think a 212 would be plenty for home use and occasional jams. Even in medium sized clubs a 212 should handle anything you could throw at it plus it's allot easier to move around.

+1 about the 212 being easier to cart around.

If you have a sedan or compact car, a Mesa 412 is a headache to haul around (Not to mention nearly impossible to position so you can see through your rear-view).

Soundwise I much prefer the 212 for the lower volume floor. It's not a huge difference but I can definitely get at a cranked tone with less ear damage. :D

I have the Boogie Recto 212 and 412 cabinets. Most of the time I use the 212 -- it has nearly the same sonic presence as the 412 cabinet. In general, most people would assume the sound is coming from a 412 in a blind listening test.

But the 412 physically moves more air, and is better suited to performing on a LARGE stage. So, for some shows, I use the 412. For others, and rehearsals, and recording, the 212.

I play melodic progressive rock with high-gain tone... check out http://www.myspace.com/daysbeforetomorrow . Our single "After The Rain" was recorded with the Boogie 212 for both me and our other guitar player, who also has the same two cabinets for his Boogie rigs. The older tune posted, "Your Kate" was recorded with (I THINK... it's been a while) a Marshall 1936a 212 (it uses the G12T75 speakers).

Scott

Latest posts

Back