Do G12H30's work with a DC2 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gronk62

Reaction score
I've done a search here and can't find the answer.

I wanna replace the eminence black shadow with another speaker.

I'm not a big fan of V30's so I was thinkin' about tryin' a G12H30 but they cost around 200 bucks down here in OZ and I don't wanna waste my $$ tryin' somethin' that may not work.

Any of you try one in a DC2 or DC3 ?

Russ said:
(feedback whining and whistling out of control)
and the sound of crickets chirping
laugh.gif

From what I hear it's like this in terms of tonality

Vintage 30 | H30 | Greenback

So they probably sound pretty nice. Check out Celestion's website and compare the graphs in the specs for each speaker. You can see how they sound different.

Hi Gronk,

I don't know about your amp but I've put a G12H in my studio .22.
BIG difference. This to my ears a very good sounding speaker.
beware, it is only rated 30watts! (my studio amp is about 18 watt so not a problem here).

hope to have helped a bit.

Greetings from Belgium

Jesse

jezzbro said:
Hi Gronk,

I don't know about your amp but I've put a G12H in my studio .22.
BIG difference. This to my ears a very good sounding speaker.
beware, it is only rated 30watts! (my studio amp is about 18 watt so not a problem here).

hope to have helped a bit.

Greetings from Belgium

Jesse
G'day Jesse and Welcome to The Boogie Board.
thumbani.gif

Thanks for the first hand advice. 30 watts should be more than capable of handling my DC2 which as far as I know puts out about the same power as your Studio 22.

The old black shadow speaker has never sounded very good and is gettin' pretty tired now.

:D :D :D You will be very happy with the H-30 in your DC-2. I put one in mine and loved it. The Vintage Black Shadow lasted 5 minutes with me.

It will make your cleans very chimey and brilliant, might have to turn the treble down.

The lead tones will be more trebly as well, I compensated by turning the Presence down and the Bass up.

I think that these amps should have come with these speakers originally. Great improvement.

Hi Gronk,

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
I don't think you will regret buying the G12H.
I also use it in my open back 2X12 cab together with a greenback.
I use this cab with my Matchless DC 30 knock off that I made last year.
(not a boogie, I know, but still a great sounding amp ) 8)

greetz,

Jesse

I'm thinking about putting one in my DC-3. It's 35 watts, so I might be pushing it a bit, but I never get the chance to put it above 2 anyway.

I use the amp with a Thiele cab with an EV in it, so I don't need to worry about bass, but I do need to make the cleans sparkle more. Right now it has a Vintage 30 in it and the leads sound incredible, but the cleans are lacking something.

Hi Monsta-Tone,

Beware your amp is CLEAN 35 watt. When pushing it into overdrive it will be A LOT more!
You will probably be ok when you always use it with your external cab.
On it's own It'll be to light.
I know you play on "2" with your amp. But if you are like me you're gonna play it louder as soon as you can ;-)

If you really want sparkle then put a Eminence Red Fang in your amp.
This is a Celestion Blue copy (but not so expencive)
It's also 30 watt so beware!
That will give you sparkling clean.
It's not exactlly the tone of the alnico blue but is is so close.
Not such a big low and as the G12H though. (but still nice)
It's also VERY loud (103db!)
And also sounds great distorted :)

Just my 2cents

greetz,

Jesse

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm thinking about putting one in my DC-3. It's 35 watts, so I might be pushing it a bit, but I never get the chance to put it above 2 anyway.

I use the amp with a Thiele cab with an EV in it, so I don't need to worry about bass, but I do need to make the cleans sparkle more. Right now it has a Vintage 30 in it and the leads sound incredible, but the cleans are lacking something.

I understand that the amp will be pushing more, but it will be fairly close since the speaker rating is RMS and not peak.

I don't think that I will be likely to blow it. :D If I do, I have 5 more sitting around doing nothing.

Latest posts

Back