Do bad/faulty speakers still work?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
Can you still "rock out" with a faulty speaker? The tonal aeusthetics aren't there; no sustain at all... just BLAH! When I first recieved my first Harry Kolbe 1x12 cabinet I knew right away after first plugging in that these are what I needed. But they seemed to lose that tonal behavior after awhile. I re-tubed my Dual using EuroTubes favorite:
Integrated quad of two KT77's in the outside sockets with a pair of 6V6's in the inside sockets and two GZ34 rectifiers. For the front end a Gold Pin ECC803S in V1, a Gold Pin ECC83S in V2, a high gain ECC83S in V3, a standard ECC83S in V4 and a balanced ECC83S in V5. run these in the tube rec and EL34 mode in the bold setting.
I've been trying to narrow down what it is thats killing my sustain. I had my guitar set up by my local repairman and feel utterly confident that its not my guitar, pickups, strings nor my playing. SOOO! wondering if its my speakers or house electricity. Appreciate your time and patience with me.
Ken

I do believe that if you blew a speaker or something it will still play but be not so good sounding at all. I would think you would be able to tell for sure though if it was a blown speaker.

I would say that blown speakers could definatly cause you not to hear your sustain as well. If we examine what a blown speaker is then we find out that it is either a rip or tear in the speaker cone or in the neoprene rubber piece on the outside top of the speaker cone which hinders the ability of the cone to push air and create soundwaves like it should. This ability is the only thing that makes the electric signal that your amp is creating hear-able to your ear. :wink:

Back